Basics of Rosin and Rosin Vape Cartridges

So measure the holes. Decide on how many watts you want, and go.

The holes in the plates will define the diameter and length of the cartridge heaters. Similar for the thermocouple.

The presses I’ve built used two PIDs, two thermoprobes, and four heating elements.

I don’t remember how much heat I put in either of them, but it’s not a high wattage application. You don’t need your plates to get hot fast, just reliably. So you can go with the lowest density carts that fit your plates. I recall them being cheap too…so if you’re dissatisfied with the warm up time on the first set, you can always upgrade.

I like thermomart for PIDs etc, but don’t recall where I picked up my cartridge heaters.

You might even convince me to wander out to the shop and dig up the last set of plates to get the wattage of the heaters.

2 Likes

Says they are 200W a piece…

That number and the diameter & depth of the holes in your plates defines the problem imo.

2 Likes

I agree with everything @cyclopath said above.

If you are handy with electronics you could also put together a controller with pressure sensor real cheap as well. I started with a broken dulytek cage; added an arduino to control heat cartridges and read pressure from a 5t load cell. The controller above will definitely save you time; if you can handle a soldering iron and some light coding you can have even more control for less money up front.

2 Likes

There are different thread patterns for thermocouples, no? I’ve seen npt and metric searching for them, but I could just run to ace hardware and fiddle with fasteners to find the right size.

It takes two cartridge heaters, I think they’re 12.5 x 125mm or 13 x 125mm, but I don’t have any good quality measuring tools to get beyond an educated guess. Prices look all over the map for those, so I don’t wanna buy the wrong size if I can avoid it

1 Like

Can you let us know which temps and pressure your using? So the first press does not add THC really (its not decarbed) but it does add kinda, the terps back in? Is that right?) Thanks for your advice.

What temperature do you use? No terpenes added?