Balanacing pH of EtoH Crude for Shatter

So I just read that dropping dry ice directly into EtoH can make it acidic and damage the pH of the crude or shatter.

So how to you fix the pH of an EtoH concentrate meant for being shatter?

I dont think that you need to adjust the pH if the end product is shatter. The isomerization, which is the negative effect caused by low pH is only an issue associated with keeping things heated in a boiling flask for extended periods of time.

Having more carbonic acid dissolved into your ethanol mixture might make your concentrate taste ever so slightly different? that is just a guess, i have no evidence for this. But recovering and re using the ethanol you dropped the dry ice into, you might want to test the pH before re using, using more acidic ethanol can cause you to pull more undesireables into your crude.

4 Likes

shouldent effect you unless you are going to perform a distillation. Dry ice is nasty and not food grade, I would avoid mixing it with your extraction.

7 Likes

I used d/i directly in my ethanol. One time I got a “salty” tasting result. So that’s good to know

But if it’s going thru activated charcoal shouldn’t that detox the mixture in some way, shape or form?

All absorbands can only absorb what fit them not knowing the pollutants is not getting guarantee s they are/can be removed

1 Like