Baking media powders color change

Any one else have the top layer of their media change color after baking? This is w 1 and AA.

1 Like

Baking at 200° f

Yes, its been suggested to just scrape the top layer.

Also im not sure if expensive activated clays like w1 should be baked off. Id bake b80 and alumina all day but what do you say @Waxplug1

5 Likes

And judging from the amount of water built up on the bottom of the oven I’d say w1 needs baked. But would sure love to be wrong

2 Likes

Where u at? I’m in humboldt and the humidity is killing me

4 Likes

I’m in LA so humidity isn’t bad at all

The top layer of clays always seems to lighten when baked. I had always attributed it to drying, but I wonder if it’s not something more like oxidation? I’ve scraped the top layer to the side and continued to bake it, but the bottom layer doesn’t seem to do the same thing then.:man_shrugging:

1 Like

B80 will get a tiny layer of discoloration ime. But I’m baking at 425, idk if that makes a difference.

1 Like

I get this drying b80. Try “sweeping”, leave the vacuum release open, vacuum on and wide open. Balance the release to about -10 in Hg. Let the batch get to temp; I dry at 300F. Now slowly close the release a little bit every 5/10 minutes until -28 or better. Watch out for wild water vapor making a mess!

2 Likes

I don’t use vac anymore after making a huge mess with b80 in both my vac oven and microwave. I just set it to 200c and come
Back the next day to scrape off the black layer.

1 Like

You guys still use powders?

2 Likes

opaline silica does a half ass job and w1 is too expensive.

1 Like

You might have used opaline silica incorrectly if you think it does a half assed job. Or you’re running floor sweepings?

3 Likes

Fair I don’t have the privilege of every pack that comes through the door being perfect. I do keep some opaline silica around but it seems better to play it safe then to have a complaining customer who wants “clear”.

This is true. Unfortunately, the customer is always right and there are people who apparently hate terpene content.

2 Likes

i wouldnt recommend baking. the water in the clays plays a key role but i have seen others yield good results with it. the water swells the clays and helps hydrate the phospholipids along with the acidity making it easier to crash the lipids especially if the crc is sleeved and chilled. it also depends on what temp you are baking the medias at. too hot could destroy its plasticity making it less effective. its better to go for longer times but lower temps if you need to bake.

8 Likes

A very smart chemist on this site told me I need a lil water to actually change ph :slight_smile:

6 Likes

And why would u want it to alter the ph of ur oil?
Wouldnt u want that NOT to happen?
Baking has always resulted in better color for me…

4 Likes

Crystallization…

5 Likes

Why would I pay for w1 to just ruin it lol