Baby Bubbles

New to posting on the forum, so bear with me. I just got a batch of wax in with small bubbles suspended in the wax. The taste and smell is spot on, exactly like every other batch I’ve received, but this one has small bubbles that I’ve not seen before. Is this a solvent left over from a poor purge or just an oddity? I’m on the opposite side of production so these things are not what I am familiar with.
image|281x499

1 Like

Here’s some of the concentrate in question.

It’s hard to tell what’s in the bubbles from a pic, but they are probably just air bubbles trapped. Some guys will polish slabs gently with a heat gun to give the glassy, no bubble look.

Usually resting in the oven after the last flip will help get em out too.

5 Likes

I’ll give you some quick test ways but if you need to be under a certain ppm don’t take my word on it. Is it stable in your hand without sticking in outside temps? Two: wrap a cig with just a bit about 1/4th if the way from the top. Look at the bubbles. Is it a shit ton or a little? Is it really runny or does it just bailey glide down? Pop noise? None of these are 100% saying anything but kind of indicators. Really it comes down if people can finger fuk the wax and not stick them. This is usually the approval in traditional markets

1 Like

There’s no official COA’s or anything, it just seems different than usual, much stickier than the usual wax I get. Almost to the point where rubbing alcohol won’t get it off my fingertips when handling it from the refrigerator. I’ll try the cig trial tomorrow. It’s much sticker than normal which threw me off as I can usually handle it raw without it sticking and getting stringy like taffy.

It’s sticky from the refrigerator?

Just my .02

Id take a little and put it in the sun on a warm day would tell you a lot. If it bubbles up like crazy hit it with a lighter and see if its got flammables in it.

The fact that its so goopy makes me wonder if its fully cured

4 Likes

Terps can also cause softer texture. Only a lab test can really tell. The last untested and clean looking slab I got ended up having about 1250ppm of paclobutrazol in it. It was beautiful, nice color, exceptional clarity, and cracked like glass. If I was a trusting individual I would have smoked it. It came from a trusted source who swore it was “clean”. Without a test only you can decide if it’s worth it.

6 Likes

Yes I can’t really handle it bare handed because it sticks like crazy, and that’s after being refrigerated a few hours to form up nicer.

I’ll try leaving it out on the windowsill when it gets warmer today and post the results. The first half of the batch wasn’t like this which threw me off

It is really stinky, so maybe it could be the terps, sadly I don’t have access to a lab at the moment. I’d like to get it tested when I can get the time to get up there and report back.

1 Like

That looks 100% good to me. That’s just air. The first response to this thread nailed it. You’re good to go, bud

4 Likes

I just sketch myself out after reading about the nasty things people are doing. Thanks for everyone’s input

1 Like

I am just cautious about telling someone something is safe, when I can’t possibly know for sure. I tend to give people information and let them decide in those situations. If it was me, was confident in the source and how it was made and it didn’t raise any red flags I would likely consume.

2 Likes

I totally understand that, considering how some people are. I’m relatively confident with the source as the flower is always very good. I don’t have a rig and I’ve lost my concentrate bed for my vaporizer so it may be a hot knife Friday.

1 Like

Plenty of terpy ones are perpetually sticky. It certainly looks fine. If it smells strong that would lead me to believe the stickiness is terps and the bubbles are just air. This is just a guess, how did heating it up go?

1 Like

Careful about leaving the whole thing out… it might get weird after the sun

1 Like

Leaving it out for a bit seemed to loosen it up, noticed a few bubbles that were gone, but I didn’t want it to turn into a runny mess by leaving it out too long.

If it turns into a runny mess, something’s wrong. It should get liquid looking, but not runny. At most set it on some parchment paper in a pan with edges. You can’t really hurt it by heating it to 95f or so, but like someone above said keep it out of the direct sunlight.

Sorry, runny wasn’t the right choice of words, but more malleable and liquid looking.