Azulene, Acidic Distillation, The Mystery Blue

Once used is there any thing that needs to be taken out ?
Water soluble ?
Has a low flash point
Even a point that makes me wonder if you can winterize out exesive bit s

So I guess that depends on how you were thinking on adjusting the pH.

Are you interested in just pHing your final product?

1 Like

Adjusting crude before distillation

Well then DBU might be a good candidate.

It has a flash point of 119.9 °C and a BP of 80-83 °C at 0.6 mmHg, so it should easily be separated; coming up in your early fractions.

Of course this is all theoretical, as I have only used DBU with other materials.

1 Like

Well I like the idea
And thx calling in the other chemist here to ask their opinion
@QGA @ScoobyDoobie @Krative
@anon93688 @Photon_noir @Rastan

1 Like

Nice to meet you by the way
:fist_left:

1 Like

The more eyes on something like this the better.

I have also dissolved some NaOH in ethanol and used that as a non-nucleophillic organic-ish base, that you could also try.

Nice meeting you as well my man.

2 Likes

I told @Dabatronicus to add a non nucleophilic base to his extract a while back. DBU and Pyridine are good to use

4 Likes

Hydroxides are fantastic nucleophiles. Strong nucleophiles are normally strong bases but are weak conjugate acids.

2 Likes

Both fantastic NNBs, but I am not a huge fan of the odor of Pyridine.

1 Like

Pyridine is what’s been used for regular flash of the cannabinoid acids to avoid Decarb. Still haven’t tested if Yield is effected during regular extraction but it would be very easy to do.

2 Likes

Thanks for the mention brother, I may have my moments but I am no chemist. :crazy_face:

1 Like

THERE IT IS <3 What a great read. Thankyou very much.

3 Likes

Our experimentation with using strong bases (for washes) had less than ideal results, at high pH it seemed as though most of the plant oils actually became water soluble and evacuated the organic phase leaving only about an 11% yield of the initial mass once dried of solvent.

What type of strong base were you using?

A nucleophilic base would definitely bind to any molecule susceptible to nucleophilic attack such as fats.

2 Likes

Making soap?

Depends on whether or not the head has a charge.

1 Like