Avoiding Lawsuits in the cannabis industry

So my lawyer said she went to a conference (or seminar not sure) hosted by the alchohol and Tobacco industry to teach lawyers how to sue the cannabis industry. It’s a new hustle that targets people w huge backers in Hope’s of getting a big fish or slacker stoners who cut corners.

I’ve also seen ads on Facebook for employees of the cannabis industry to sue employers for not getting overtime.

I’d like to hear any suggestions on how to avoid situations like this. Specific things that would slip someone’s mind. I’ll start…

If an employee gets a DUI and you fire them for it (because part of their job is driving) u have to wait till they’ve been convicted or report a different reason. A friend of mine was paid his wages until his conviction when he had already stopped working there. Were talking 6 months of income.

Also cannabis DUI in ca are poppin off. Not smart to smoke in the whip anymore.

I know CA OT laws are pretty good for employees and not standard as compared to most states. When I had my company in CA you had to pay OT for anything over 8 hours per day, double time for anything over 10 hours. OT pay for anything over 40 hours and double time for anything past the seventh consecutive day. I suspect the lawyers see the cannabis market as being made up of garage companies making it big, growing and think them likely to not keep up with payroll laws. I hate lawyers (until i need one).

2 Likes