Automated Irrigation

Figured I’d post this as I just finished a fairly large job. I’ve been in the industrial automation game for a while now and got into automated irrigation a couple years ago. I plumbed up this:

Dosatron system recently for a large scale commercial grow. I also just finished up this:

control panel for an operation who wanted a simple way to independently flush benches as different strains mature. The selector switch closes one motorized ball valve and opens another. I don’t know if there are many folks on here on the cultivation side but for those who are, I can help with system design and equipment procurement. As far as the automation work goes, I’ve done work for massive facilities and small caregiver operations, so I’m always up to give a hand and lend advice.

23 Likes

Sweet setup my bro. I am about to build out a large facility and decided to go with the dosatron also. Is that control panel manual or is it controled thru bluetooth?

It’s manual, bluetooth is definitely possible with additional ancillaries though.

2 Likes

That how I set my grows up using smart plugs and these units. The have a 110v solenoid that I plug into the smart plug then I can control them from my phone or iPad.

4 Likes

Those smart plugs are awesome, I’ve got them all over my house. It’s tough to find them with a UL listing which sucks because they’d have been useful in some of the jobs I’ve done recently.

2 Likes

I know I have one in the box at home. I will check if it’s UL listed.

2 Likes

It is UL listed. The system I run also has a cam/mic/speaker so I can communicate with someone in the room if need be.

10 Likes

Beautiful work @cannfab

2 Likes

I’ve been playing around with lawn irrigation controllers with 24VAC valves. I choose rain machine to work with because there is a REST API

Also a community Python library.

For smart plugs I like Sonoff 31 with energy monitoring. Not UL listed.

they are based on the ESP8266 and you can flash it with customer firmware. All my stuff is tied together with MQTT, so out of the box firmware is only so useful to me.

3 Likes

That’s some fancy bad ass chit right there. I just stick with the plug and play units that anyone can figure out.

1 Like

Yeah, definitely experimental. I don’t trust it with my entire garden.

I also have a bunch of xiaomi mi plant monitors. I’ve tried a few things, and this is what I am using currently because of the cheapness.

4 Likes

I use Sonoff as well for a handful of gadgets around the house. That python lib is intriguing, looks like I know what I’m gonna be doing for the next few weeks. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Just used a regular irrigation controller. BaseStation brand.