Athena "Fade"

Helo
calcium chloride 1g/liter 272 ppm Ca
482 Ci exact?

1 Like

Anhydrous calcium chloride at 1g/L gives 361ppm of Ca and 638ppm of Cl.

2 Likes

Do you know what concentration Athena fade is mixed at?

I do know, but I have that knowledge under an NDA. You need a lab analysis of Athena fade to determine that.

2 Likes

Ahh so I should just go buy some fade and send in a sample to JR Peters lab then? Mix it at the strength they state and ship. Same as I would do for testing Athena salts blends right?

2 Likes

It’s better to send the unmixed product to a lab that can do a normal fertilizer analysis. Diluting it yourself makes it less accurate, as you add the errors inherent to your weight and volume instruments, which could be very large depending on whether you are using calibrated analytical grade volumetric materials or not.

Could you point me to a lab that does analysis direct sampling of the fertilizer possibly? I do not think JR offers it, I could be wrong though.

What state/country ?

Michigan!

1 Like

I think Brookside labs (in Ohio) might be able to help you out (https://www.blinc.com/), I think they do fertilizer analysis.

2 Likes

Jr peters does water, fert, tissue and media.

I sent them water last year and sending another to them soon for our new build here in MS. Its only 50 bucks, maybe the spot daniel sent does it for cheaper.

4 Likes

Hey I’m curious if you ever got the Fade tested. If so, how much did it end up costing? If you feel like sharing the results please post them.

I’m interested in doing some fertilizer/tissue testing myself.

@danielfp Can you recommend a fertilizer/tissue testing lab near Portland Oregon?

Oregon State should be able to help you with those tests:

http://cropandsoil.oregonstate.edu/cal

1 Like

Fade is only liquid form as of 5/3/23.

Calcium cloride …huh . Cool i bet ya can make some cocain with it. Calcium cloride in solution shouldnt cost this much, but a generation of suckers is born every minute

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for this!

Hey Cryo13, any results from your tests using the new Athena recommendations?

I have used Athena since it was formulated. I’ve ran 2 rooms on their altered ratios.
Their 50/50 veg ratio is great, for some reason it really helped my plants. Their flower ratio changes like 70/30,80/20,90/10 … not so good. It wasn’t until after I finished both runs that Athena and their reps went around saying “no don’t alter ratios in bloom it doesn’t work”. Like someone said earlier , “trust the program” , ok which one? Lol.
Then, we bought fade. I’m not a scientist nor someone with a huge vocabulary but all I can say is ever since they dropped fade my rooms have been coming down fire and most important… CONSISTENT. I hope they don’t change anything else :sweat_smile:
5 gal plastic pots but filled with only 4 gal of substrate , 100% coco , crop steering and following all the industries current “standards”.

We change our watering scedule mostly now
From vegetative to generative On specific days.
Im not sure if the ratios change during flower anymore.

Fade is good to trigger finishing, it makes some strains just finish…
everyone in our facility thinks it made it taste different, in a not good way so they use it but less than the recommended amount of time…

1 Like

Interesting that people think it changes the taste.

When you do the taste tests are they blind or do you say to someone “Hey here’s some flower grown with fade tell me how it tastes.”?

I’m just so curious about this whole “taste” difference thing that’s going on between different salt companies and organic vs salts.

I really want to see a totally blind Pepsi Challenge on this. And some terpene/scent/flavor molecule analysis.

I feel like most of the opinions being thrown about are done so based on deep seeded opinions about the salt vs organic debate.

2 Likes

In the case of the product, the fade does contribute a very high amount of chloride that is not commonly found in flower grown without it, that can substantially affect the perception of taste. The flower grown with fade has a lot more chloride in it.

We did a double blind expert panel test using and not using fade with a client and although I cannot share specifics, I can tell you people can tell the difference, night and day.

Of course being able to tell the difference doesn’t mean it’s necessarily bad, just different.

5 Likes