Article on recovery pumps not being appropriate for bho extraction. have you read this?

i read the article below about how using recovery pumps is a bad idea. its saying no matter what that they contaminate our extracts with a bunch of shit since we remove the lubricants from the solvent. it also says that they are not sealed units and allow air in or solvent out when in use. this is apparent when pressure or vac testing a system. it doesnt work with recovery pump in line. this seems like a major deal. what do you guys feel about this?

http://www.tamisiumextractors.com/images/Refrigerant_Recovery_Machines_are_Poisoning_the_Cannabis_Industry.pdf

article looks like it’s from 2010…

2 Likes

i just found a bunch of black chunks of something in my solvent tank and im trying to figure out from where. im going to run some tests tonight. but while doing research i found that article. and it resonated with me about how it probably allows air in the system. i dont like that.

Depends on what pump you have, its more than likely the seals. You can put a filter on the out port to catch any debris that are coming out if you want

2 Likes

i was thinking about exactly that. do you know what kind of filter would be appropriet ?

im using a trs 21. its pretty new. like 25 hours. but i ran it for like 4 minutes with the valve in front of it closed…i dont think it liked it

Old azzz article

I’ve never used one but I never had the urge too. you should at least get a cmepol

1 Like

eith regular maintence they aren’t bad for the price. if you can spring for something more a master vapor or a corken. I’ve even used KNF diaphragm pumps but those cam only be used with N-butane and a nicely sized heat exchanger

1 Like

I always used 2 2” clamps with a 1micron ptfe filter or build a lil mol sieve and use that, helps all the way around.

1 Like

anyone care to comment on the air entering the mix via the recovery pump? you cant pull vac or pressure test through the trs 21 only to it.

You have to vac down both sides

Why not just go passive ? It’s faster and you don’t need pumps…

1 Like

I use way less dry ice active. Like significantly less

2 Likes

As a guy who’s recovered 1000lbs from a very very expensive centrifugal chiller, I can attest that if a recovery pump allows any amount of atmospheric air into the system it would be quite a problem. So much so that I doubt a recovery pump manufacturer wouldn’t address it if it was known.

2 Likes