Argon vs vacuum vs oxygen absorbers for distillate storage to prevent oxydation

If you pull 97% of the gas mix that is air, you still have 3% of the original oxygen left. Diluting that to atmospheric pressure with N2 will bring the oxygen to nitrogen ratio down.

:rofl::sweat_smile::man_shrugging::man_facepalming: Dammit the genius of some people! Ok you win this round, not sure why thats never occurred to me. I think I just felt like a baller with my two jars full of kilos and didn’t realize I was screwing myself.

I think this right here is enough reason to stay away from vac sealing non distillate concentrates.

Based on what GW is saying no matter how deep you vac there will always be some lingering O2.

I’m definitely going to grab some argon and some oxygen absorbers and compare them. 20 cubic feet of argon is like 30 bucks at my local welding supply.

I’ll experiment with one jar argon filled, one with an absorber and one with both and see what my results are.

I’ll keep the thread updated!

2 Likes

The only problem with argon and nitrogen is that they’ll both dissipate almost completely whenever the container is opened a few times so the oxygen absorber might actually make the most sense. Both couldn’t hurt.

1 Like

Any time you open the jar just add more argon before capping

2 Likes

Yeah this was my thought process too. I went ahead and got the argon locally and ordered some O2 absorbers. Yeah I went a little overboard but the upfront costs justify the means.

And btw if any of you shop with Praxair kick them to the curb and find a barnes welding supply if you have one. I was able to get my argon tank, gas and regulator that will work with nitro for more than half what Praxair wanted to charge. And barns has dry ice at .55 cents at only 100 lbs, which fits in my wheelie cooler lol.

I figure with argon at 30 bucks a 20 cubic foot refill I can open and close the jars personally as many times as necessary. But for my clients who may go through their distillate slowly a 500cc O2 absorber could potentially last a handful of open/close cycles.

I filled some D8 jars already with an argon blanket that had just barely started to get rose on top, hoping they halt the oxidation process now.

Here’s what I set up today.

1 Like

This is my problem child…

Some water clear D9 that will oxidize in hours. I’ve been melting the red ring off the top then just using the clear but I’ve lost a couple hundred grams just to keeping it clear in the carts. I’m going to do this one more time then fill with argon. I should be able to see if its working or not rather quickly, fingers crossed!

3 Likes

Send that dark shit to me! Don’t throw it out!

4 Likes

I wouldn’t melt the red ring off if I were you, it will cause more oxidation.

You want to avoid heat, light, and oxygen to keep that stuff clear.

The argon helps with oxygen. Get some brown glass jars to help with light and freeze it when not in use (in appropriately sized containers)

Never heat the jar to remove your disty. Use a butter knife or something and scoop that shit out and add to your mixing vessel then use as little heat as possible to homogenize your terps.

Squirt some argon in your mixing vessel as well.

3 Likes

I’ve tried everything besides heat :upside_down_face: my disty is rock hard even at room temp. Besides my wifey won’t let me bend up her silverware anymore :sweat_smile:

I get it though, after this batch I’ll be taking your advice and making up smaller jars moving forward so I only have to heat up what I’m using. Seriously that shit right there is genius :clap:

2 Likes

You already know those goodies are going in rubs and edibles :crazy_face:
The flavor is still on point it just looks like my old school first pass crap I used to pull off my USA Labs spd :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds like you need some custom tools from @TwistedStill.

9 Likes

That is exactly what I was thinking! I need to bookmark that link so I have it at the ready!

2 Likes

I once froze carts and they oxidized almost overnight, any idea why?

Ive never frozen cartridges before so idk. How did you package them prior to freezing?

@qma you know anyone freezing carts?

what kind of carts where those?

Vac sealed and Jupiter CCell.

Keep in mind that there is gas dissolved in the oil. It’s advisable for long term storage to allow the inert gas in the vessel headspace to equilibrate, then vacuum it out and replace it a couple times. Also, always store under slight positive pressure, that way any leaking will be out and not in. Probably excessive but it’s not that hard anyways

5 Likes

Mason jar lid
2 ports/attachments (check vales). Hook up 1 port to n2, other to air. Open n2 valve, forces air out of mason jar and backfill with n2.???

This is my brain on distillate.
Lol

Sounds like a plan in my head for those w/o a vac oven and use a Mason jar lid vacuum attachment like I do.

2 Likes

Pretty solid way to do it honestly. Look up cannula transfer and you basically have the idea

1 Like

When porsche introduced nitrogen on their cars, they had 2 valve stems. At least on the 911/cayene/Carrera gt cars. This allowed us at the dealership to sweep all the o2 for nitrogen.

2 Likes