Are Regular Recovery Tanks Compatible With Nitrogen Push ?

So I saw the Open Source Steel demo for the Nitrogen Push OSS Cold solvent extraction using Nitrogen pressure assist - YouTube that a stainless steel Solvent/Recovery Tank was used and has 3 ports as opposed to a standard tank that has two ports.

So I only have a standard recovery tank. A regular mastercool 400 psi tank (with two 1/4" male openings). So my question here is, Can i use my recovery tank for a nitrogen push. Or do I have to add a tee on the recovery port of my tank. I plan on getting a sieve.

Or do I need to get a stainless steel solvent/recovery tank.

1 Like

Does it have a pressure relief valve?

No. For right now it’s 100% standardized I’m just wondering what I would have to do to make it compatible with a nitrogen pushSX425

Edits of this picture or diagrams would be helpful.

you can easily get a female 1/4" jic swivel fitting to FNPT or MNPT(might have 1 here). From there a simple cross fitting can add a gauge, pressure relief and Jic fitting. is it gonna be a bit janky…sure… Are you gonna be safer than shooting nitrogen into a tank blind. Sure.

7 Likes

Dont do anything without a relief valve, not worth it.

3 Likes

@Apothecary36 what psi would one want for the pressure release valve

Hmm my system is likely different from yours. 75 psi sounds safe to me. What do you think @Killa12345

you can even go up to 125psi id say safely…even 50/50 butane/propane is gonna be right around 75 psi at room temp (80F).

2 Likes

Any way to use triclamp fittings?

Don’t think so on that tank but boy that is a good idea for a product

2 Likes

how did you end up retrofitting this tank for nitrogen push? I also use the same style tank and have no gauges or PRVs on it.

I didn’t. I still don’t run nitro. I ended up getting a stainless tank from @Killa12345

You can get a good solvent from @Killa12345 that’s safe to use with a nitro push.

Those tanks are carbon steel and are a bitch.

What makes them a bitch? I just bought my nitrogen tank today and am going to try and push into one of these solvent tanks. Do you run nitro on that stainless steel tank? or just running a pump? I use crc so I figured I’d need the nitro to force it through.

Did you use all stainless to distill your solvent? Did you distill through a molsieve? Do you have a molsieve?

Moisture can rust those tanks.

1 Like

Yes all stainless on my system. I haven’t distilled through molesieve but plan to next run and every run after. Ah I see so they can become contaminated. Do you think running 50-100 psi of nitrogen into one of those recovery tanks would be safe? It says they are rated for 400 PSI.

2 Likes

Ask your question there for a safe answer. :octopus:

I’m passive, I don’t run nitro or a crc.

And they are.

But what is the giant ass prv near the handles set for?

What I mean is most tanks like the yellow and gray ones have a prv on them near the handles I think it’s like an indent on the brass thing.

Recovery tanks (HVAC) are rated for 400 PSI. The PRV is built into the valves.

Why on earth would they advertise a max working pressure, but have a secret lower pressure they pop at?

Propane and HVAC tanks, and DOT tanks in general are stupidly safe. The rusting is pretty gross, but beyond that (and the risk that having a rusty pressure vessel incures), they are designed for intrinsic safety (IE, not becoming a pipe bomb bleve)

I suppose you’ve been at this for a little less long. No hate, I spent years reading ICmag before I ponied up for my first box of steel

1 Like