Are people still using activated alumina?

Bro that’s just Jack’s cleaner from tga

7 Likes

That formula definitely sounds like it would affect the terp profile. T41 with its carbon, then magsil and silica which can both steal yields. It sounds like this is a stack for maybe 1-4 6x48 columns? So maybe 40-50lbs?

2 Likes

Woah I’m getting white stuff with only about 30g T5 per 1lb and 10g silica per 1lb. You use a 4” crc right?

2 Likes

Yep 4inch and using pure nbutane

Meant pre wetting with butane. Just used the wrong terminology. Water is my arch rival

1 Like

Nope. That is the correct terminology.

Assumption on my part based on @Beaker’s using water to “prewet” his alumina when winterizing with it.

Winterization - #31 by Beaker

1 Like

Oh lol coo i was like uh me no likey water

I stopped using AA and DE
This CRUDE hit 15%terps, i didnt have it tested for potency. It would not crash. If it did it would have been crazy high terps at least 30%

Pretty sure DE/diatomaceous earth is just a filtration aid. No absorbent qualities.

Are you suggesting the AA was absorbing terps?

1 Like

I still run AA occasionally. I use it on top of W1 to help disperse the flow of solvent evenly as it hits the W1. It always comes out orange after going in white…so there’s some action there…but I’m more concerned with even flow on my clay.

2 Likes

@Waxplug1 has stated it’s used for PH balancing. I wonder if it helps with that oxidation that you sometimes see after filtering through an acidic clay.

generic piney lemony

No i was using the aa to catch pigment. The DE was used on top and/or bottom and i dont notice a difference without it.

Once i started loading under vac was when it started to work well. Then i stopped using b80.

Sometimes I will put crx in place of AA in my filter stack under the dewax column and w1 or w2 in the crc, sometimes I just run filter papers. I find the 3d matrix of media is a lot harder to get clogged with wax than a filter paper on higher yeilding runs that drop a lot of lipids.

2 Likes

Is your crc column post dewax?

1 Like

I run an extremely similar blend and out of nowhere the last week I have had clog after clog after clog. Major depreciation of rate of flow and filtering seems non existent. I run 100% butane, I used to run about 10% propane. T5 is baked silica is not. Any ideas? one man team struggling hard

Yes I run the granular media (crx, Aa, ultra clear or something similar) under the dread column

Then I send it to a crc packed with fine clay (b80, w1, w2, t5 or something similar). Then it goes thru a 1um then a .2um filter into the collection pot

T5 is clay not silica. DE is silica

1 Like

sounds like it could be time to clean your sintered disc

1 Like

Yea these work great
I use de, ultraclear, b80, ultraclear layered to get great flow and amazing products

2 Likes

Whose the manufacture of the granular and ultra clear?
Haven’t kept up on all the new absorbandts have been working thru this pallet of b80

1 Like

AA will catalytically decarb your acidic cannabinoids if used with warm or even room temp solvent

2 Likes