Are drilled used to assemble some of closed loops?

So like… Does anyone here use drills to assemble some parts of their CLS’ or is everything hand torqued and wrenched in?

Cause I’m considering using a drill to assemble a few of the smaller things. Like the injection port for example.

Just to be 100% clear here, I am not talking about tightening the bolt on clamps with a drill

I’m talking about assembly of extractor parts

1 Like

Drill makes one to many ugga’s only need one dugga

13 Likes

Couldn’t help it

5 Likes

But in all reality I think the size of the bolts is more so what you may need to be asking about. Anything below a 1’ bolt/lag/nut I use wrenches. & don’t let your hardware squeak, always keep replacements abundant.

1 Like

When using an impact or torque wrench I recommend double nut-ting all high pressure clamps

3 Likes

You hear that double up the protection folks, it’ll save you 18 years of bills. - Mossaic

1 Like

i would say it is ok to take up the slack.
but tighten by hand. just my thoughts.

2 Likes

edit:
get yourself some locking crescent adjustable wrenches

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crescent-10-in-Locking-Adjustable-Wrench-ACL10VS/206738169

4 Likes

I tend to lean more old school and use hand tools when most would use power tools in general. Less chance of cross threading and over tightening.

In an average small scale closed loop, I don’t see where much time could really be saved using a drill; not that many parts in the first place. Even on a larger unit, there aren’t that many fittings that would really even be feasible to tighten with power tools. Time spent fixing f^#k ups from power tool accidents may greatly outweigh time saved.

3 Likes

Vice grip and a crescent wrench, socket wrench for deez nutz

1 Like

Ratchet wrenches be where it’s at. Or pneumatic impacts. I know on my electric ones you can set the torque and a bunch of other shit. Id bet there’s something similar out there for pneumatic tools. I dont see an issue. I would always hand start each nut on bolt. But the general consensus is gonna be no

Obviously you wouldn’t wanna use an electric drill or impact around hydrocarbons. Hopefully that doesn’t need clarified

2 Likes

I think what you mean is “are drivers used to assemble closed loops”. At the vary least you’d want a drill/driver combo since a drill would only be useful for making holes.

And now that I’m done with semantics on to safety. You ever notice the big spark in the back of the “drill” when you engage and disengage the drive? It’s much less noticable in newer brushless motors but still there all the same. In my opinion it is better to just keep that kind of risk out of the lab, why take the chance when you could just as easily get some ratchet wrenches and not have to worry.

4 Likes

I’m not assembling in a lab, I know the spark factor of any power tool is a risk. Though that risk is more so, if the extractor is filled with solvent and you’re using power tools to fix a loose bolt on clamp. That’s only one example, another is assembling parts with an electric power tool in an area of evaporation or something similar.

I don’t think there’s a risk in assembly of parts with a power tool in an area with no evaporating solvents or anything dangerous going on, I just wanna know if it’s a common thing around here and if people find it easier than hand torquing for assembly.

1 Like

Coming from an automotive background I certainly have a healthy respect for power tools and the time they can save you. That being said I always thread spark plugs by hand. So I suppose the best answer is do what you feel comfortable with, hand tools make it much tougher to over torque or cross-thread but power tools will save a few seconds.

3 Likes