Are cannabis derived terpenes federally illegal?

d8 is already a grey area federally so if you’re comfortable with that risk in general, just make sure your D9 on final product is 0.3% or lower… I’m not a lawyer though

1 Like

Yes, delta 9 THC is compliant with the rules of the product. My only concern is that I was going to print cannabis-derived terpenes on the box and order cannabis-derived terpenes. I’ll have to order hemp-derived terpenes

I’m guessing in reality it is not compliant if you get that d8 tested at a few reputable labs. The terp source is irrelevant in terms of your final product being legal in that case.

1 Like

Hemp: cannabis sativa having less than 0.3% THC

So you’re using “cannabis sativa derived” either way…

6 Likes

While that is true scientifically, legally any products that come from cannabis over 0.3% are federally scheduled, regardless of final thc content

3 Likes

Really? I’ve independently tested quite a few samples at multiple labs they are always ND across the board.

1 Like

Except seeds according to the DEA.

Including KCA?

If u have enough reflux and a long/tall vapor path during (vacuum) steam distillation, ensuring the only thing coming over is vapor and not any water. youll get ND for all cannabinoids

5 Likes

Anything that crosses the threshold at all from my understanding

Incidental manufacture of a controlled substance is the term iirc, I too am not a lawyer

1 Like

On a KCA test its ND?

1 Like

Lots of folks doing this with distillate and THCa products now too.

There was a guy on here earlier selling high THCa hemp flower.

1 Like

No although I probably will send them some after this conversation. I’ve tested them at California Ag Labs and 2 Rivers Lab. Both of these labs I know the lab directors personally and I trust their results when it comes to low THC detection.

Didn’t use KCA because at the time KCA still had a very long turnaround time and these projects were time sensitive.

Its extremely difficult to separate the thca from terpenes. Before hot terps was common knowledge, it was a way to test if terps were real

I will say i tested the terps after blending with distillate at KCA and always ND at an LOD of 0.0073%

And these are legit CDTs. If your experiened its easy to tell as Im sure you know.

1 Like

I’ll clarify once more:

Cannabis terps arent illegal because they are over 0.3%. They are illegal because they are derived from an product that is illegal. There is no amount of remediation that will change that legal fact.

But there is no way to enforce it unless the vendor explicitly incriminates themselves. If there were ever an issue, those vendors would be at risk, not yourself. Why? It would be an extreme amount of work to trace those terps to all but the biggest customers of the aforementioned vendors.

The chances of any of that happening are super low, but @CannaFarm wanted to know the exact legal reality so I shared it

3 Likes

Nope the thc-a is easy as fuck now the thc that might be present is a different monster

3 Likes

decarbing isn’t removing

Time will tell :upside_down_face:

It s a pity you consider me capable of decarbing thc-a in a terpene rich extract
And claiming I got it out because now it s not thc-a anymore and ruin the terps while doing this

So then how are seeds, stems and roots legal that don’t contain thc when they come from a product that’s illegal?

I’d venture to say cannabis derived terpenes fall under the same exemption as above if there’s no cannabinoids

2 Likes