Appropriate PRV’s

So I know that standard 20lb DOT LP tanks have 250 psi relief valves installed. I’m wondering what psi PRV’s everyone’s using for their storage tanks and collection pots. 150 psi PRV’s seem pretty common but pure propane will reach 145 psi at only 90 degrees Fahrenheit. I’ve read that the psi of the PRV shouldn’t exceed 75% of what the system or vessel is rated for. I’ve also read that a system for propane is supposed to be rated up to 350 psi. So just curious what you guys are using and what your opinions are on what would be the appropriate PRV for straight nbutane vs propane or a blend. Also what are your thoughts on brass vs stainless steel for PRV’s? I see both being used a lot and I know a lot of people like to hate on the brass but i feel a PRV that’s not in direct contact with a liquid solvent should be fine and they’re around $5 vs $40.

I’m looking for a $5 stainless adjustable prv with manual release and threaded exhaust port.

4 Likes

is there a link to 1/4" npt threads prvs that everyone uses on cls. brass or ss

cheaper stuff as I change once a year bc cold temps hurt em

will this work

or do I need these

they about 35$ different

I havent seen manual release combined with a threaded port. And why 5 dollars? I have no prv but with me getting nitrogen assist I think I need a prv now.

I got the 50 to 150 adjustable in a swagelok body, It has npt so I can attach a hose that goes far away. It has no manual release.

Not good to cut corners on arguably your most important piece of safety equipment!

Dont ever run nitrogen without a PRV!

2 Likes

funny u have no idea how many ppl here run those $5 brass 150psi prvs

They say asme, but it just vents to atmosphere is why I spent extra for the swagelok with npt on both ends

2 Likes

I have those to but if u dont reset them.on the regular the psi pop off changes

cheapos or swagelok/parr?

1 Like

its swag knock offs oss use to carry

Ill keep it in mind, its easy to check them with the nitrogen regulator. it kinda sux that the regulators guage doesnt match up to the rest of my guages. but ill just take that into account. I have 12x12 collection and usually keep it under 60 psi, Now I have a new pump that will pull vac so it should stay even lower. Ill set prv to 100 and vent far away outside. I dont think ill have to push hard with notro but its to get it through a cooling coil on the way in.

2 Likes

Just order the SS 140psi :call_me_hand:
Should be good for tri-blend