Application of temperature cycling for crystal quality control during crystallization

Well, in my opinion the goal is to achieve a fully dissolved solution with as few nucleation points as possible.

Start wet, cap and wait for nucleation. Burp and raise temp, keep waiting.

Start wet, cap. No burps just temp cycle. Burp when growth has stalled.

Start with a thick solution and cap. Raise temp until the jar is crystal clear. Drop temp very gradually to grow crystals.

8 Likes

J12, are you in a sealed setup? as in your solvent amount stays the same like in a jar?

in a tray or pan type tek that isnt sealed or has a ton of headspace, with the slow evap/boil/loss of solvent one would have to increase temps so as to stay in the sweet spot. In a sealed jar with minimal loss over time the spot would stay similar, as the crystals form the saturation level goes down, so in a sealed system over time one would need to trend down on the temp so as to increase saturation by temp lowering, and wouldnt have to go as high to get dissolution of the fines.

I do think that elevated temps will increase growth rate at the same saturation levels though.

Thats what we’re talking about, cycling temps, but restricting it to levels before nucleation and before dissolution of targeted growth crystals.

3 Likes

I make diamonds in sealed jars only, and no you don’t need to go down in temps. The only time you would want to go down in temperature is if your solution is crashing too fast and your trying to slow it down so it doesn’t sugar out. Only thing I use a Pyrex for is badder and fast crash.

3 Likes

I cannot find the exact quote after digging through my books, but there is a clear statement saying that the cooling cycle for ostwald ripening can be achieved by the evaporative cooling effect of evaporating the solution.

So there may not be a physical temp drop of your heating system (oven, heating pad, etc) but there is still a temp drop in your solution.

What are other ways to increase saturation? Adding solvent back in would have a similar effect and in turn give you more flexibility on your next move.

3 Likes

If vacuum decreases the boiling point of butane, can we temp cycle with just going in and out of vac?

2 Likes

cold boil drops pressure and temperature

2 Likes

It’s a Great way to make sugar

7 Likes

so long as you want the boiling point that low…

hey, this pan of butane is boiling at 0C, let me pop it in the vacuum oven so it evaporates at -20C.

does that sound like the way you want to play this?

4 Likes

not to mention all the butane vapor you’ll lose out of your vacuum pump…

2 Likes

Yeah, that reminds me I need to implement an N2 then vac purge before opening our ovens…having that butane exhaust through my rated pump makes a whole lot more sense than letting it pour out the door towards the operator and possible ignition sources.

5 Likes

Has anyone tried adding something like paraffin wax to salt THCa out of an alkane?

3 Likes

Could you explain? I read about that with…some alkaloid or another…but can’t remember…

1 Like

If you have a solute that has a greater affinity for the solvent than the compound you’ve currently got dissolved in that solvent then it should be able to displace that compound from the solution as it’s dissolved into the solvent itself.

Its a half baked idea on my part, but I’m still curious if anyone has took this past thought before me.

2 Likes

I don’t think there is an equivalent to salting out for nonpolar mixtures

1 Like

Do u know why that is?

from what I recall salting out works with the polar interactions between solute and solvent. you block the positive interactions between the solvent and solute with another solute. With nonpolar you only have minimal and transient positive interactions between components, and the repulsive forces tend to outweigh the attractive ones.

5 Likes
1 Like

See the post above

giphy (49)

OHAIIIIIIIIIIII

13 Likes

Get some.

3 Likes