Application of temperature cycling for crystal quality control during crystallization

I think this is a little much in terms of thinking…

You wanna know how to make bigger diamonds, fo, sho… solvent dynamics tell us slower solvent evaporation would lead to a slower stacking. You also have loose variables at play with content of your mixture, but over all, it’s all how you manage your solvent rate.

Heat, and time are what ya got. Ramping up and cooling down is one way, slow ramp up works, you can also play with how that heat transfers onto the surface of your vessel. All good experiments. Worth chasing.

5 Likes

Has anyone made any headway on this subject? Right now I’m experimenting with temperature cycling. I am convinced that’s how you can get diamonds to form faster, bigger and more uniformly. My starting point is 1c for 12 hrs to 24c for 12 hrs.

My goal is to have a major crash of loose diamonds in 10 to 14 days.

I’ve been doing this for 2 days now and have a few small stones forming at the bottom of the jar. After being cooled for 12 hrs at 1c it turns the solution cloudy. You can see the thca in the jar shimmering. This is only my first attempt but so far so good. Any input on temps would be awesome. Im not trying to form a puck like a traditional cold crash, but instead to help the thca stack faster. That’s why i am not going di cold.

6 Likes

Nice article but 188 pages

@xxxtortellini How have your experiments been going? I’ve only been at it for 2 days.

1 Like

They are going so-so, my temperatures are too irregular yet. I just set a few jars on my chilled condensing pot which is -20C and that’s colder than I want. My next experimental run I want to adjust my saturation at pour out and probably place the jars in some sort of cooler with ice and make sure no moisture gets into the jars

1 Like

I also have 1 jar that I am placing in my di slurry for 5 minutes or so to get to that point where it’s cloudy then letting it warm up to room temp and repeating. Just started that today. Next week will be the major test. Ill be posting results for everyone to see. I been through a ton of threads where people talk about temp cycling but I have yet to see any results posted.

6 Likes

I also notice that cloudiness when my jars are coming to room temp, and I also want to try to control that with my next run. My current jars I’m experimenting with sugared out, but when the jars are coming to room temp the sugar growth really takes off within an hour. What solvent ratio are you using for your extraction, and are you using CRC?

1 Like

I run 70\30 but switching back to 100 n tane. Hard to keep the lids intact with the propane mix. I run a 6/1 to 10/1 ratio and yes i crc everything even if its just a light crc. I use media bros because of ease of use and get good results. I use both cry and crx ratios dependent on quality of biomass. I have used almost every other media out there as well.

5 Likes

@DocKnott you know that’s a 3 year old post you replied to?

That’s basically the same solvent ratio I use and I’m running into the same problem. I was curious about the CRC because I don’t use any powders. When I have time to swap my chiller fluid I am going to do a 100% butane extraction

1 Like

This is just Ostwald ripening.

5 Likes

This is just Ostwald ripening.

Care to expand that post into a useful sentence?

1 Like

Ostwald ripening is the physical phenomenon that occurs when cycling temperature in a crystallizing medium. When temp cycles high, smaller crystals are ‘melted’ into a supersaturated solution where the excess deposits on the larger crystals as the temperature drops beyond conditions preferential for solubility.

Wash, rinse, repeat and you get faster growth of preferentially larger crystals.

Just find your optimal parameters.

23 Likes

That was a good explanation, and thanks for doing it for those too lazy to read on their own

3 Likes

Who’s too lazy here? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

A two word response is far lazier

1 Like

The correct term to look up given to you for the relevant topic you are trying to learn is near the ideal thing one could do to help you and should be appreciated. I struggled learning about crystals for years before I learned that little term that gave way to so much knowledge that is applicable in replication of the techniques of just about every cutting edge diamonds expert out there. Few things people here will be willing to tell any random person any information that doesn’t already exist on the internet, say thanks and get to work.

14 Likes

To expand on this and really dial in crystals you need understand ostwald ripening can happen in a solution just sitting there. But to speed it up cycling of solubility is the key. Testing the different methods and parameters can really set results apart.

22 Likes

Thank you I am getting ready to experiment with temp cycling. Been making diamonds for years but always get pucks.

3 Likes

Now that’s a quality response. I appreciate you sharing your insight Duke, I’m grateful for the spoon :bowl_with_spoon:

1 Like

Some of my best diamonds are like 6 months old that I forgot about haha

5 Likes