Apeks 20L CO2 Extraction - problem getting material out of and cleaning separator/cup

Turn off the chiller or set it to the highest temperature setting. The idea is you want to heat the separators with the waste heat from the booster pump. This will lower the viscosity of the oil and allow you to retrieve most of it in the separator cup.

If that doesn’t work as well as you would have liked you can wet a rag with 200ml of ethanol and place it on top of the biomass in the extraction vessel. This will add some ethanol to you separator but won’t effect your extraction in a negative way.

3 Likes

what settings are you using to get your oil this color? Weve been struggling to get our color from brown back to a nice amber. Apeks set it up and gave us the settings, we just produce brown oil everytime. Any help?

Are you decarbing your biomass before extraction?

Quick small runs, lower pressures, lower separator temperatures and fresh dry biomass are the most important variables for light colored Co2 extract.

2 Likes

we have the same machine and we have this thing apeks made its basically a pole and on each end has two metal round plates and then a rubber kind of silicone disk in between and it fits the column and it just pushes everything out of the bottom. dont take the cup off yet so it will just fall into the cup. then put the cup in the oven until it melts down and then pour it into a beaker and use a spatula to scrap the sides

That metal / silicone rod is definitely handy to have! If you set the chiller to 105 idle that helps as well post recovery. We rarely need to use the rod anymore…its a pain to clean also!

we use the rod every time unless its already settled in the cup. Then just use the spatula and clean the majority off the disks and we just take them off and soak them in an ethanol bath

1 Like

Take the filter screens out of the extractor column. Thess one at the top and bottom. Soak in eto and or replace. Some nasty colors leach out when your clean the filters and im sure nasty colors leach into extract if they’re not clean.

Run a dry run of CO2 through the system at typical extraction conditions, it should carry over all of the extract into the separator

3 Likes

We clean the machine after every run. We do pack the vessel with 8-10lbs depending on the material. Its decarbed prior to if its thc.

When your machine goes into recovery turn your chiller way up and problem solved. I run an Apeks 20Lx5L

1 Like

What is your separator temp?

Extractor temp is what when you operating?

turn your chiller temps up on the last 30 min and during recovery… it will help

Thanks for all the replies. We posted this about a year ago and have pretty much figured out things, but I think it’s a good thread for anyone else that might encounter issues.

1 Like

Awesome!

Yep, helping others learn the easier way is really what this place is about.

Any chance you could DM @Raybhayes1 and share your experiences over the last year?

1 Like

I would be grateful for any input on what I am doing with this extraction.

Would you mind sharing your extraction settings for your CO2 extraction? I run a 20Lx5L Apeks and I’m not 100% on it at all

Feel free to send me a DM and I can help you out if you have not had your questions answered yet.

1 Like

We stopped doing CO2 extraction over a year ago. However, we did about 2 months worth of R&D on the front end testing various settings with small 2 lbs loads and comparing the results. The biomass was from all the same batch so we could eliminate any variance there. I would recommend you do the same and document everything about each run and compare the test results to see what works best for you.

how does one “dm” someone?