Anyone using waste process heat (or cold) to offset your heating/cooling bill?

Like title says, just curious if anyone is using waste heat or cool from your process to offset/augment your shop heat or AC.

Just picked up a little hydronic unit heater with a Honeywell aquastat the other day, need to get it plumbed into the warm glycol return coming off my BZB falling film. Already using the warm glycol with a stainless tube & shell heat exchanger to preheat the cold ethanol going into the BZB but there’s still a lot more heat that falling film is producing that could be used for some good instead of taking money and energy to vent into the outdoors.

5 Likes

I put the -80 freezer I keep dry ice in on the grow room side of my building so any sublimation feeds the plants and so far the heat it puts off has been enough combined with the veg room to keep me from turning the heat on when the lights are off. Win win all the way around!

6 Likes

i bring “free” cold inside with a radiator

2 Likes

I’ve always wondered why that wasn’t more popular. A radiator inside and outside to bring it cool winter temps makes a lot of sense, just need to increase dehumidification to account for less hvac

4 Likes

ambient below 0c makes butane a liquid very affordably.

4 Likes