Anyone use a wood moisture meter for cannabis flower?

Looking at grabbing a probe type one to help with repeatability in drying/curing

any tips/advice/anecdotes are useful

2 Likes

Lol I’ve tried it before and it gave me the data I needed to see if my ghetto forced air rig was drying the biomass. I was able to see the moisture decrease however I wouldnt say it’s super accurate or anything.

It was an electronic one with two metal spikes on it I would.imagine it wouldn’t work at all on bud that’s not super dense

Edit: this was the one I used https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00275F5O2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_GWB1ATJ1ZD8D8ATJ9GFS

2 Likes

I bet the GE Protimeter with the insulated probe attachment would work great.

1 Like

$1400

ouch

You get what you pay for. They are high quality meters. I use them a lot at my day job. They also have some handy attachments…

I have had the same one for over five years.

2 Likes

You could almost pay someone for that price to “squeeze” them nugs at that price.

Loss of weight always seemed to work for us (although we don’t do much drying). If we lyophilized the bud to death, it pretty much always comes out at 23-24% of input weight. From there it’s fairly easy to interpolate

2 Likes

they have to draw a nice graph too

Shoot me a dm. I’ll give ya a few tricks I learned in 10yrs.

I’ve used this to gauge bud moisture and it seems pretty accurate. Without looking at Home Depots website I think it was 15 bucks. I used it to see if things were too dry for trimbag tumbling and it was worth the 15 from that dangle of the angle.

4 Likes

How you like the trim bag.

2 Likes

I think they’re pretty efficient. Can do 2 or 3 lbs in less than 10 min and cleans thing up pretty good. No substitute for hand trimming but for hemp it gets it where it needs to be.

2 Likes

Fun tools of the trade. I think I got an Amazon wood moisture meter for $10 that’s much better than the Triminator @ $69. Trimbags were handy before I could afford a crew or trim machine.

1 Like

Did you know the same company that makes wood moisture meters makes them for hops? I found that works really rather well for cannabis. And I did a side by side with it and a LOD tool and they were almost always the same, occassionally (when really terpy) it would be off, but that’s because LOD rips terps too.

This is the one I use. And they are now even calibrating it for “hemp” and it has a solid range - 7-34%, so you know, around day 2 until the end of drying.

7 Likes

Do they beat up the nuggs? How dry does it need to be to work well

2 Likes

maybe check out: field testing for moisture content

3 Likes

They don’t look too bad at all, especially if they have any density. It retains a majority of the trichs, so I had no complaints visually. The only pitfall would be airy nugs that are over-dry that you would cause problems.

2 Likes

These guys have hand held, I’m out n about or I would grab you more info