Anyone tried using Luna Tech?

Luna has definitely treated us right for all the work and input we have given them regarding the new Oberon. No personal checks have been written but they have written off some big invoices for our company in trade for our time and information shared regarding changes we suggested and implemented.

5 Likes

Whatā€™s price difference on Oberon?

Would you recommend over the I/o

Iā€™m not sure the price difference, you would need to call and ask, the Oberon does require larger air cooled chillers, but i would absolutely recommend the Oberon over the IO.

A few 3 way valves and a diaphragm pump would allow you to recirculate in the extraction column. You could use your hot vapor to purge the pump of solution after the extraction cycle is finished. Do you think that diffusion of solvent or the amount of solvent used is more instrumental in achieving higher yields? Anyone know what the extraction efficiency is on Illuminated equipment when they are getting the best of both worlds by having a high solvent to biomass ratio a well as a lot of diffusion during recirc? @Zack_illuminated?

2 Likes

You have a recommendation on a pump that can handle -60c saturated solvent without leaking? Weā€™ve tried a few and they all leak.

2 Likes

Now this is a good convo

1 Like

A question I would love answered definitively is how much noids can the solvent hold on to at X Temp?

Can you pass noid laden tincture over itself again and again efficiently? More importantly can you pass it over a new column?

Did you try a yamada ndp20? I have only gotten them that cold with ethanol laden solution.

not that specific one but i have tried the graco that looks identical and it leaked after about 5 minutes.

1 Like

What does bhogart use on their mvp liquid pump?

Think itā€™s all off the shelf stuff

The gracos usually have a single clamp on each diaphragm. Did yours bolt or clamp together? The ndp20 has 6 bolts on each diaphragm. The common leak spot is usually where the inlet and outlet pipes connect to the pump. Once they are cold, you can usually tighten them once to stop any more leaking. Gracos that Iā€™ve used usually leak by the big clamps at cold temps.

1 Like

Mine clamp together, but it was actually leaking at the two bolts by the inlet and outlet. It may have started leaking at the clamps if we continued to run it longer though.

I think you can get thicker PTFE gaskets for those spots. I could be wrong. We have a Chinese pump that is all tri-clamp top and bottom gaskets and is bolted together that I havenā€™t gotten around to testing yet. It pulls great suction for the ethanol FFE and seems like it is well sealed.

The boxer @Photon_noir and I have used for recirculating our CRC did not leak (once buttoned up correctly).

However, we were running from the heated collection , so itā€™s a different problemā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m a little biased of course but for the crazy price and the low throughput for a system they donā€™t make doesnā€™t seem like the ideal system. Iā€™d rather my team pull some ball valves and actually learn how to extract and get 4x the throughput. The IO is like 200K or more no? It comes with an MVP 150?
We have a client that was sold one with a regular home water heater that in no way generates enough KW to heat passed 100F. It wasnā€™t creating near enough vapor pressure.

the absence of ball valve turners is the primary selling point.
over 2 years it more than makes up the price difference

1 Like

How so? Systems for half the price are doing triple the throughput. What are you saving by going slow?

you have to pay the guys running a regular machine. not having this labor on payroll is the savings.

If throughput over dollars was the primary concern, no hydrocarbon machine would be a viable option over ethanol

Our client has 80,000 lbs to run and weā€™re going to get it done months faster than their Luna. The time and money they are saving by far outweighs payroll for an extractor to run it. And if a ball valve fails, you replace it in 5 min for $40 not days and hundreds of dollars. But to each their own.
Some want to save pennies, others, dollars.

Are you doing 80k lbs with hydrocarbon?