Anyone still use the Root Sciences / VTA VKL 70-5 Wiped Film Distillation System?

Just checking to see if anyone is still using one of these in their lab, or are these pretty much obsolete now in favor of larger throughput / lower priced systems?

Or is it more like sp/wf distillation itself is obsolescing a bit in favor of isolation/crystallization (and then melting)?

Yea, I’m using one of the VTA wiped film systems. It’s fantastic and such a huge upgrade from short path we were running prior. Isolation/crystallization is definitely on the uptick but I’m still a fan of wiped film (it also looks pretty).

Hey @Ganji thanks for the response.

Do you use the smaller, all-glass VKL 70-5 (or the newer VKL 75) from VTA, like the one in the pic below, or are you using one of their larger all-stainless units with more throughput?

Kinda wondering whether people are still considering systems that put out less than 2 liters an hour when going with wiped film.

2 Likes

Are you going to be the biggest distillation company in the state or are you supporting a small line of vapes? 2 liters = 2000 grams = 2400 carts per hour, call it 6 hours a day 5 days a week, you’re at 72000 carts per month. Can you sell that?

5 Likes

Oh, these smaller VTAs can definitely produce enough oil to support some brands cart lines, i was just wondering how many are still in use.

Seems like these were everywhere a few years ago and not so much anymore.

The spark is gone, people arent flexing equipment like sports cars anymore. They are still out there. Roots, pope and cts were at bizcon this year.

1 Like

I’m using the glass 70-5 unit. Its output rate works with our current workflow and processing so I’m not really complaining about making smaller quantities. We’re hoping to upgrade to the bigger units in the coming year to keep up with anticipating demand. Personally, it’s my first WF and it’s great as a starter to higher throughput systems compared to SPD.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. Agreed, these are great starter systems, curious to see how soon you’ll need to upgrade to a larger unit.

Anyone else still using one of these Root Sciences / VTA starter units in their lab??

I found the slower units made a higher potency distillate.

Makes sense. Smaller units would have a shorter residence time than larger units… less residence time equals less thermal exposure equals less degradation equals higher potency.

Anyone else still using these smaller VTA / Root Sciences wiped film distillation systems?

1 Like

I don’t think this is why the potencies were higher. I didn’t see any sig increase in other cannabinoids when distilling CBD with different pieces of equipment. I think the reason is a combination of the entire evaporating surface being a consistent temperature, and less cross contamination due to physical reasons. This kept CBD out of my heads and other contaminants out of my CBD. I hit 97%.

I run a 6" Wiped Film from Beaker and Wrench. It’s like a Ferrari and made of stainless steel with some sight glasses. I can’t imagine using anything else now that I run this beast. Comes in a 12" size too for serious ops.

2 Likes