Anyone here dealt with MCT destroying everything in its path?

Hey Hey,

I’ve been making some CBD tinctures for personal use to help with ADD, Stomach Inflammation, and to avoid the Adderall life.

How do companies keep their MCT+CBD from eating through medicine droppers lids? Does the degrading plastic release anything harmful to the body?

2 Likes

Well that’s some strong terps in that tincture
Wonder what type of plastic the caps are made of🤔

Definitely the MCT lol

3 Likes

x2 on mct seaping thru. I used to keep my mct plastic pipette in a zip lock. I always had mct puddles in my cabinet from leaking ziplocks.

3 Likes

If your dropper is black, chances are it is “rubber” rather than “plastic”. Switching to plastic might help.

HDPE appears resistant enough to ship it in, would probably work for dispensing.

I worked for a company that solved this. Their early attempts were expensive. Their latest solution was apparently less expensive than the amber bottles with black droppers they used to use.

Not privy to the exact details of their current bottle.

All I can tell you is that dropper and bottle are white.

Getting the material the bulb is made from out of the manufacturer doesn’t look trivial

@Akoyeh may have details on the material . Or the one I have at home might have a part number…

Edit: for years the “solution” was don’t tip the bottle. Or suck anything into the dropper.

2 Likes

I go thru three drums of MCT a month for our womens line of products

DM me and I’ll send you the SKUs on the bottles and pumps we use, theyre sexy.

5 Likes

Its definitely the mct. Try a ptfe seal on the bottles

1 Like

I, sadly, do not know which bottles the company that I used to be with switched to for solving this problem. I’ll be out of the state all week, but I’ll see if I can’t get that answer before too long. MCT loves to eat rubber! Doing you best to keep tincture from reaching the bulb will more or less prevent the degradation, but it is far from an optimal solution. You should be able to search out some bottles that have a more compatible bulb without too much difficulty. (Pains me to say this, but…) Avoid the natural stuff.

2 Likes

@Zippy, I would suggest finding glass droppers with monoprene bulbs. This material seems to have the best compatibility with MCT, and it is a latex free, food-safe option. The company I used to be with has switched over to monoprene and has had no degradation issues. A quick search on Amazon gave me a ton of options. They shouldn’t be too hard to find. I would try to avoid ingesting the degraded rubbers if possible. A quick filtering with a coffee filter should clean up your tincture nicely and make it ready for a better bulb.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

:heart_eyes: thank you!!

The all knowing one was adamant that it wasn’t neoprene…but that was what the voices in my head keep suggesting.

4 Likes

For those who want more reading on types and compatibility of bulbs, this link has a good quick overview of many of the different types of materials used for making those bulbs. This company has discontinued their monoprene line, so you can’t order direct from them. The info is really handy, though.

@cyclopath, neoprene is one of the materials they list. Could be an okay solution, but monoprene is better.

2 Likes

MagnaKoys 1/2 oz 8 dram in Cobalt Blue & Amber Glass Vials w/Straight Black or White Bulb Eye Glass Droppers for Essential Oils & Liquids (1 Vial, Amber White Dropper) via amazon. Monoprene bulb.

1 Like