Anyone have hands on experience with Summit's 6L sep funnel?

Summit’s 6L sep funnel has a unique rotavis top joint with a vacuum adapter and a fluid inlet. They claim that by sucking water (or other liquid) into the sup funnel with vacuum that you can get sufficient mixing of the two liquid phases without the need to remove the funnel from its stand and manually mix.

Has anyone used one? Did you find this to be the case? If it adequately mixes the layers, it sounds great and worth the high cost.

Here is the item I am referring to: https://summit-research.tech/product/6l-no-fuss-sep-funnel/

2 Likes

Probably going to depend on quantity of material being washed. I can see vacuum alone being enough to do the mixing though. Pull full vac before opening the water inlet should be fine

1 Like

Sound like a novel idea but how is it mixing the two if it’s just sucking the two into a flask without any kind of agitation unit like a mixer that a reactor has…

1 Like

If it’s just the inlet that makes the difference, then at that point I would just get a Chinese separator funnel and then get a glass joint with a vacuum attachment and an opening that has a liquid feed like this Vacuum Adapter,with Glass Stopcock,24/29 joint | eBay and add an inlet to the opening

I just don’t get where the agitation is taking place without agitation…

The layers mix when u pull vac

1 Like

Then just get one of these and add an inlet to the opening and get a cheap funnel.

No need to spend so much

Edit : US $10.00 | glass adapter,24/29 joint,10mm Hose Connection,borosilicate glass material
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMu5ZJv

4 Likes

We used to just put a vacuum takeoff adapter 24/40, and a hose barb to 24/40 cone with stopcock. Keck clip them together and put the assembly in the top joint of the sep funnel. When you pull a vacuum on the vacuum take off adapter it will draw the liquid into the funnel, it is quite aggressive and will mix the phases together.

5 Likes

Ayyyyy I love seeing Deschem pics.

1 Like

The liquid flowing into the funnel causes a lot of turbulence, if your not careful you can make a mean emulsion like that!

2 Likes

I don’t mess with separations I just like saving people money. :sweat_smile: But I’ll remember that if I decide to buy a bottle of methanol and a bottle of heptane and try out an lle

2 Likes

We used to buy heaps from them in the lab days, good glassware and comes packed extremely well in those foam boxes!

1 Like

Most my glass is Deschem.

2 Likes

If you can find vicks old loud and clear channel he had a video doing it.

1 Like

It does work and it mixes very well.

US $123.00 | Liftable Stainless Steel Separarory funnel stand support & steel clamp for 5000ml 5L separating funnel W 2 holes
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLwfFWR

1 Like

Looks like an over-engineered, unnecessarily complex, expensive attempt at wheel reinventing. I would expect no less from summit research

2 Likes

US $175.00 | 5000mL (5L) Pyriform Separatory funnel, dropping funnel with straight tip
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPeEGpZ

So let’s recap here. For 308$ + state tax, purchasing from China you could have almost the same thing as the summit funnel. That’s about 542$ less. …

I really appreciate the comparisons. It allows us to stand out in quality, it is clearly obvious you won’t get the quality glass or components or construction with anyone but summit.

We use super thick wall elongated glass, not thinned from stretching a cheap boiling flask.

We make billet ptfe gl (only in industry) and billet gl polycarbonate gl components (only in industry) that last 100x longer than anything else on market.

Our chemical duty threaded poly carbonate plastics as are billet cut and usa made.

Or rotaviss connections are made with a custom mold that is average three times thicker so it last longer on the glass neck.

The innovative process to inject fluids while mixing was created and applied to a heavy duty cap with quality components.

Any way you cut it you can always buy something cheaper. But it won’t be summit durrable. You’ll go through ten china sep funnels or more for the lifetime these will endure.

2 Likes

IME, diffusion of solvent is the most important part of extraction. A sep funnel works, but breaking emulsions is difficult and will take a lot more water than needed. That increases significantly with the volume of your funnel, because of the lack of surface area needed for mixing with minimal turbulence. As volume of the solution increases, so do the mechanisms to mix them sufficiently. As you scale up, you will need more solvent, time, or water to remove undesirable water solubles, without the assistance of agitation or extra gravitational force to separate the layers of L2L extractions. I’ve had great results from a continuous counter-current L2L centrifugal extractor for water washing from CINC Centrifuge.

1 Like