Anyone have a preferred fume hood supplier? we are going to need to make custom ones to go over each piece of machinery

our way of working with the fire department is that most of the machines have a low overhead fume hood with high CFM and our hotplates and such are all in a closed fume hood. SO im seeing if anyone has a preffered vendor before we start dropping big money on fume hoods.

Don’t tell me you’re using heat plates to decarb.

1 Like

Depends on scale. You can Decarb a shit load of material on hot plate stirrers and 4L beakers. Or obviously a reactor with a mixer or rotos but they’re expensive for the amount they can Decarb. I can Decarb like 40 kilos in an hour or 2 with a handful of hot plates

So just the decarb is done on hot plates not the devolitization for a wiped film? Some people do both and cook their material too high, open to oxygen.

The ducting and power to run the air is the biggest expense with fumehoods. Sounds like you have that already.

If you’re going to do R&D too, a walk-in fumehood is great. The ones that can adapt to having a table inside to work off are the best. Research or production hood in one.

I’m looking at the blue one with the bench.

Brand wise: no clue what the name we used was. I was gonna call up my old company when the company gets serious.

I’m using a handful of short paths. I can pump around 30 kilos a week of finished product with 3 short paths. So the hotplates is just for purely for Decarb. When I get to wiped film size I’ll have a falling film and my rotos will then be used to Decarb and strip at the same time

2 Likes

NuAire makes some pretty good stuff.

Kewaunee Scientific is also pretty stellar.

Are you exhausting out the building? Will there be moderate levels of flammable solvent?

I’ve found many used ones on ebay for a steal of a price

Should be next to no solvent as long as I’m running my machines like I know they can run. But yes venting out the building. Working with my engineers now to figure out what Florida requires. I’ll take a look into those companies appreciate the info boss

1 Like

ASHRAE 110 is going to be your biggest requirement to fulfill, perhaps even your only requirement. I’ve got a maintenance SOP that conforms to that standard—DM me.

EDIT: It will almost certainly require a 3rd party to come ‘certify’ the hoods to ASHRAE 110, you need to do it annually. I also have a contact in Florida that can help with that.

1 Like