Anyone familiar with water curing ABV and etoh?

Apologies for the noobness. I am reading, learning…have a question for the better informed here.

I have saved up a ridiculous amount of already been vaped flower (ABV)

Its pretty common to use this stuff to make edible infusions or tinctures and I actually go as far as to “water cure” the abv to remove essentially any flavor from it. By the time its done the water it sits in runs essentially clear. Still quite potent.

I cant help but think if this “water curing” technique would help with not pulling too many contaminants in an etoh extraction as a lot of the water soluble ones would already pulled out in the water cure.

Would this be the case? If thats true could I then potentially add some AC to the etoh wash, filter it over celite, blah blah blah and ACTUALLY get a passable huffable out of what is essentially garbage material or is that a pretty tall order for an etoh extraction?

It’s a tall order for ABV, only way to know it to try it…

I think your best shot would be 90 sec extraction with dry ice cold EtOH, but ABV is a totally different critter as far as how the cannabinoids are presented (far fewer “balloons on sticks, w/cosolvent”, ready to burst at the merest hint of solvent)…

so you may have to go longer…

2 Likes

I was thinking the same, just quick wash it like usual in dry ice.

I figured it would still pull a lot of color just from the “charred-ness”of the abv but thought maybe that would get mitigated by the AC/Celite …probably gonna need quite a few passes in the filter lol.

Dunno… I’ve saved up like literally 3 pounds of this crap (edibles don’t really work with my gut) so I’m gonna tinker with it just for shits and giggles if nothing else. I’ll post some pics if it’s not a huge failure :joy:

1 Like

Oh and I also thought this could be super interesting from a decarbing POV. Like… the flowers well on its way to being decarbed already, I’m going to have to dry it after curing anyway… maybe I just finish decarbing before extracting? I wonder how that would effect the etoh extraction.

Likely just result a huge mess but I’m intrigued now!

I have a customer who loves recycling and selling roach weed. He also uses dab rig reclaim when he’s hard up. I sincerely hope you are only doing this for personal use!

1 Like

Oh of course. Just a curious medical patient grower here who likes to tinker. Takes so much care to grow my babies, just want to get everything I can out of them.

2 Likes

Ive only extracted oven decarbed material with etoh once. I didn’t have analytics at the time, so I have no clue on extraction efficiency, but the bone dry material gave a light amber tincture, while the non-decarbed material was green.

2 Likes

lol sorry im probably annoying with all my questions…

The decarbing process is going to turn all the thca into thc anyway and that will need to be done at some point if I dont want this to crystalize right?

One of my biggest areas im trying to improve with my usual etoh carts made from trim is decarbing my finished oil without it going really dark on me. Ive been able to use media to get a pretty damn clear solution, but when I go to decarb, it quickly turns really dark. If I dont decarb hot enough or long enough, it’ll seize in the cart.

I’m wondering if maybe decarbing the flower itself (whether its abv or not) is a good idea to do before crc since then the last step would be attempting to remove some of the color that decarbing turned it as well.

Or maybe just doing crc after decarbing the oil using additional solvent?
Is there any reason specifically the decarb process would need to be done last?

Thanks again for the replies, appreciate it.