Anyone extract leafs?

Hey,

I’m wondering if I can save myself some labor on my harvest and just leave some of the leafy duff in my live heptane extract. I’m stripping all my stuff right off the stalk into a shredder, but wondering if I need to de-leaf first.

I know I’ll lose solvent, but I’ll also save myself a shit-ton of time not sifting through.

It’s thc stuff and I’ve got a method to save the Terps. I’m color remediating already and have a pretty robust winterizing process.

So, question is, will the leaf throw off flavors into my extract? They’ve got some light citrusy notes, but definitely some vegetal in there too.

1 Like

More plant material = more fats/waxes
If that plant material doesn’t have THC in it, it will tilt the extract to the fatty side.

5 Likes

I’m running a dewaxing membrane and LLE, so I’m going double duty on the fats end :slight_smile: but I’ll try and rid myself of a chunk

Weed is so cheap nowadays if it ain’t sugar leaf it’s not worth anyone’s time. My 2 cents at least

4 Likes

Dude, whole plant extract is the best man…

9 Likes

Hahaha

Yeah I’m trying to see if it’s worth the time taking out or not. I’m just bucking everything straight off the plant. Gonna take time to separate

marketing speak for “too lazy to trim”…

1 Like

I deleaf in the last 2 weeks of flower super heavy. I’m not a real grower though lol

2 Likes

Me neither :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

That being said, in my experience it’s easier to be more gentle to your buds if you deleaf the plant while it’s alive.

4 Likes

Brah… just chew it and swalla

Just had a chat last night with a buddy about this topic. He’s thinking of purchasing bunch of fresh froze leafs. I asked if it was sugar leaf, and from what I understood it was water leaf for the most part lol. I told him I’ve never extracted just leaf and don’t think I would. He insisted the yields were “fat” lmao hope y’all are having a good day.

3 Likes

Buckle and throw through 2 by 2 inch chicken net?

The leaves should stay and the meat should fall through?

But seriously tweedle, is there no help to call upon?

Never. Ever. Ever. Defoliate your plant when it’s alive.

We remove the fan leaves and stems, but process the buds and sugar leaf together.

How’s your membrane setup working out? Did you buy or build?

Also you’re able to keep all your terps from heptane?

Heptane will pull all the fats from the water leaf and work against you in 2-3 different ways. Would make alot less difference at cold Temps, which I doubt you are doing from your description, and will add cost to production probably canceling out any money/time saved from not pulling the leaves.

1 Like

I’ve extracted fan leaves with butane once upon a time, because the boss insisted.

FAT yields is right in point.

45% cannabinoids…

@vortal;

I’ve also trimmed standing plants before bucking onto dry ice. Took 1st place somewhere with that one.

2 Likes

Ln2 dip and straight to sublimation in the freezer dryer… Dryice works aight.

3 Likes

I’m hoping to just do my whole crop in a day or two. No freezing just tear down and dip into solvent within a day.

Room temperature is around 6-8c, so perhaps I’ll avoid a bit of wax.

I’ll see if I can train my monkeys to throw out a least a decent chunk of the garbage leaves as they throw it into the shredder.

I’m doing a heptane extract, then LLE to methanol, then a couple of membranes, then some more magic :stuck_out_tongue:

Processing about 200 plants, should be able to get it done in a day.

1 Like