Anyone ever cut off the top of the metal basket on a panda?

Just wondering, would make life a 1000 times easier, just worried about throwing the weight off of the basket.

1 Like

What’s the worst thing that could happen? It tears itself apart and you’re out $160…just remember to watch from a safe distance.

Edit: “a safe distance to watch from” was why I chose an R&D facility with a mezzanine :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I don’t think this is safe

I only use pandas for dewaxing now- my ghetto lab system uses a Maytag for soaking and spinning biomass- I recover a little less solvent from the biomass but it’s worth the throughput

The panda is lined with micron sock material and I slowly stream frozen methanol winterized crude through - the amount of black hunk that gets trapped by the sock material is fantastic

3 Likes

I understand your stance very well! Now your Maytag , how are you packing it? We use 5 gallon buckets lined with bubble bags, so if we were to throw them in there then the load would not be even are you having balancing issues?

I’m going for it! Definitely will smooth out the edges still…

I suspect it will self destruct.

The one above tore itself apart after surgery.

2 Likes

@cyclopath Well I’m going to try my luck, maybe the myth busters will want to come out and bring their plexiglass shield…

I fill 75 micron mesh bags with 2# hemp each, six to a load, balanced, then fill the whole thing with ethanol and stir every few minutes with a brewers spoon, push em around to get em moving- then drain and spin after ten mins, I soak again for another 8 mins with stirring and then spin out a lot longer to dry as much solvent as poss.

1 Like

I’m suspecting unbalanced was the cause.

Who me?
:crazy_face:

No
@PofH panda went walking across the room.

2 Likes

The big ones will walk through drywall

2 Likes

What model Maytag? Any modifications? That throughput sounds nice.

the throughput on initial extraction is fantastic but the LLE that follows is a bitch and I am now working on that setup… counterflow to start but I NEED a centrifugal extractor to make it really pump.

the amount of solvent recovery needed is pretty large but a beefy falling film should be able to handle 1000 a day worth of winterization LLEs.

30gph should do about 350# per day so thats doable based on this setup… gotta get one built ASAP

2 Likes

Well I can say that it…works amazing!! Couldn’t be happier super easy and man the bags slide n and out!

Bonus content! 3 pandas sit nice n snug in this amazon rack, mobile solvent recovery :money_mouth_face:
AmazonBasics 4-Shelf Shelving… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07281KYSS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

4 Likes

nice balls! keep swinging em!
EDIT: Spinning em!

2 Likes

Playin with fire ik I’m but they get the job done, we’re just getting into ethanol extraction for crude, we were doing hydrocarbon but ethanol is honestly so much easier that we’re going that route

Update please make sure to tape the top lid down, other wise the 3 tiny screws plus the handle will not always keep it on…

1 Like