Anyone currently using a hopper chopper for biomass grinding?

I put this in ground up as i feel it to be appropriate to the subject.

Has anyone used one of these?

Designed for biofuel production, they look fucking stellar to me but i wanna know if i may be missing something important

Particle size of less than 1in? Doesnt seem that would be small enough particles?

Iv seen some things on alibaba that would mulch to smaller size.

Looks badass tho

I want quarter inch or so

1 Like

looks like it might get gunked up easily, i wonder how well it handles sticky resinous stuff

1 Like

Just did a quick search on alibaba
I kinda like the first pic.

I entertained something smaller once and had discussion that cutting heads can be customized to size needs?

Could also ask that company about the cutting size be customized to your needs. I agree wirh the 1/4in being perfect size

Imagine that its immersed in solvent dude… lol

Missed that part?

Second grinder is pharmacudical grade grinder. Not sure what that means lol

The oher one was describing crushing watermelons and pulping then where i left off at particle size.

Didnt see the chem mixing part. Ill go thru the desciption again of it.
They may make custum particle size for you as i mentioned

I watched the video lol
Not a cheap date im sure

Fresh frozen mixed with dry ice pellets should take care of that problem

1 Like

I went down the grinder rabbit hole a while ago. I think the key is cutting rather than pulverizing. I went the labor forward option rather than mechanizing but these were the machines I was considering.

These guys make customizable cut size tooth grinders. [Marijuana Waste Shredding - JWC Environmental](https://grinder link) I know i says for destruction but the concept works for extraction as well. Pricey, but they were the best mechanics for resinous material at a constant cut size. They come from grinding plastics and municipal sewage so are used to dealing with tough shit…(cough, cough) I talked with a sales guy that speced out a 306 stainless to 1/4 inch grind.

The bang for the buck option was the blue hippo with a freq drive on it. https://pleasanthillgrain.com/shop-by-brand/hippo A hammer mill on it’s own will make anything into flour, but they make a frequency drive that can slow it down and has screens to grade out a mill size. More crushing than I would like but way more affordable. Kinda like a blade coffee grinder on steroids.

In the end I made a “farm tech” sifter out of various grades of stainless mesh, pulled the stems and pushed the flower through 1/4 inch mesh, but would have loved to be able to make a processing belt that ran biomass through to be sorted and ground. Paying one guy to do that four hours a day ran a lot of pounds of material while not paying thousands up front.

Rosemary sorter machines are also an interesting option.

I’ve heard tell of weed wackers in buckets as well but wasn’t willing to go full Mad Max

2 Likes

You’re aiming at a slurry with that thing?

I briefly considered a trolling motor in a 275gal tote…but that particular batch of biomass came in the door as 18-24” branches. I turned my back for a second, and next thing I know they’re loading the peeler with a coal shovel.

2 Likes

Im gonna go the garbage disposal route and pull the material through an inline blender after ive immersed it in solvent.

I really dislike dust, and yes i want to slurry it

2 Likes

Yeah, airborne weed sucks.

That description conjures images of a wook stuffing weed down a garbage disposal and chasing it with everclear from 1/2 gallon glass bottles.

(Do I have a keg mod for you…)

2 Likes

Wide bore

1 Like

I’d say that a peeler was a good fit then. I suspect the one I’m thinking of has gone for pennies on the dollar, but I’ll see if it’s still available or retrievable.

2 Likes

Peeler fuge?

Yeah, had one on the ground down here in Eugene that could have been a lot of fun. It ended up in a lab that didn’t have the power needed to run it. I suspect it has gone for scrap.

Send me deets