Anyone can recommend me a precision lab scale thats not super expensive?

Im looking for a precision scale that is not super expensive and work well
Can anyone suggest me one?
Thanks in advance

1 Like

Gonna need a LOT more info than that to suggest a scale.

What are you weighing with it and how precise do you need to be?

What’s the max weight you need it to read to?

Are you doing analytical work? Weighing bulk extract? Gramming extracts? Weighing material bags? Or weighing super sacks?

4 Likes

I just need it to weight jars for using it in a centrifuge
Need to be accurate within 0.1-0.2
Just making sure my centrifuge will last

Since im scaling the whole metal bucket with the jar inside plus concentrates the weight goes around 600-700 g
I tried 2-3 different scales i had here and all of them moved within 1-1.5 g so not accurate at all
Even tho when i use the calibration weight they all show the exact weight,but when i use the heavy jars the weight starts to be inconsistent

I like these

1 Like

So you need a scale with a limit of 1000g and 0.1 resolution

The higher capacity the scale goes the more expensive it will be with accuracy

Here is my suggestion

15 Likes

Does your scale need to be certified for your state?

2 Likes

We use these. They are functional workhorses.

1 Like

I’d second the ohahus scout recommendation.

The only thing to add to the conversation is whether or not your facility needs state certified scales. If so, check for your exact requirements. We use those ohaus scales, but they need to be calibrated by a scale company and certified by the state. So, the total cost for us is more around $450. But, we couldn’t legally use them to scale MJ without those certs.

2 Likes

I use scouts in the lab, but just like mentioned above, I spent mad loot on the scales and then had to turn around and spend $900 on a certified scale for commerce. Don’t make an expensive mistake.

1 Like

What’s your air turnover like in that room? Air flow can make even the best analytical balance go haywire. Most of us are running much stronger ventilation systems than they’re designed for.

What are the dimensions of what you’re weighing? That’ll limit a lot of options.

2 Likes

scales should be enclosed in an ideal situation

7 Likes

This is the scale we use for this.

Also you probably dont need it certified if you are only using it for in process work. the final packaging scale should be certified however.

6 Likes

You need a scale with 0.1 g repeatability, not just 0.1 g resolution.

Best of luck.

I think that scout is going to be the one

2 Likes

Just pointing out the two are very different things.

2 Likes

The thing to know with a scales is the linear dynamic range (LDR), basically how many orders of magnitude can your scale weigh. I have a cheaper analytical balance that does to the 1mg up to ~500g an LDR of 5 orders of magnitude). Right next to it I have a larger scale that goes to the 0.5g but maxes out at 66kg which is also 5 orders of magnitude and costs about the same amount; both on the cheaper side.

If you want something that has another order of magnitude on its LDR (1g-500kg), add another 0 to your price tag. Alternatively, a more expensive scale with the same LDR will usually be more accurate, and a more reliable piece of equipment (an ohaus or mettler toledo scale are good investments for accuracy). Scales are more or less the foundation of all of your data you collect from your facility so investing a bit in a nice scale will help for sure. The one @Tom reccomends is a good one if you need to the 100g.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone,i will go with the scout since a lot of you recommend that

1 Like

Capacity: 0.1 g - 1100 g
Readability: 0.01 g (10 mg)
Repeatability: 0.02 g
Linearity: ± 0.03 g
Stabilization Time: Within 3 seconds
Pan Size: Φ130 mm

The one below, i use for almost everything, ive got 3 of them

Capacity: 0.1 g -5000 g
Readability: 0.01g
Repeatability :±0.02 g
Linearity : ±0.03 g
Stabilization Time: ≤1.5 seconds
Pan Size:143 x 192 mm(5.6x7.5 inches)

2 Likes

For usual centrifuges, a delta of few grams between the buckets is not such an issue, especially for buckets that weigh several undred grams, if not kgs. A 0.5 precision should be ok.

I also find Ohaus scales to be very goodcfor their prices.