Any innovative solutions to packing material socks?

Good idea. I thought I’d check on here first, also to see if anyone has any experience with the Luna Packer.

I’m in communication with Bryce right now. He’s a fucking beauty. Quick reply, Good full answers, no BS.

1 Like

I’m really curious if anyone has come up with something like this yet. Seems like it would be easy to have a sock connect to it…

4 Likes

Any downsides to mechanically packed pucks/logs?

Any issues with medium or long term storing compressed fresh frozen?

I think ive read some folks only compressing what they are running right away within a day or few, and others press up and freeze and store for weeks or months.

1 Like

We hand pack our fresh frozen at the moment.

We might consider moving the packer into the walk-in again at some point…

1 Like

:thinking:

I definitely know a few groups that will pack their fresh frozen into pucks to reduce freezer space and its stored that way for months.

Cured material doesnt hold in a puck as well as frozen material though. its much more spongy and wants to re expand over time

4 Likes

Looks like Im prob going to be packing by hand too. There’s lots of capacity numbers on here for mechanically packed columns, but not so much hand packed. Looking for a ff biomass capacity range on 8" columns , any insights are appreciated.

1 Like

Roughly 8#/12" mechanically packed and not pulverized. It should be roughly the same pulverized and hand packed.

2 Likes

excellent, thanks!

Gotta figure a packing rod / head, the old closet dowel aint going to cut it…

1 Like

Always loved a good old metal baseball bat myself

1 Like

Too short.

We used PVC.

6 Likes

Haha that cap on there is a little wider than a baseball bat too. But can you defend your lab with it for dual purpose?

1 Like

Yes sir. Pugil stick style….but without the padding…

1 Like

Following up here…

We’ve started making adapters for our standard 8in packer frame. So we send you the standard 8in packer with a reducer tube and reducer extension tube for any standard pipe or tube diameter. We’ve sent out three different diameters of “6in” packers for different bag sizes. Everyone’s bags seem to be slightly different.

For a custom sized packer, we measure your filter bag (send one to us), then build the packer adapter to that size.

They work in a freezer but you need a good air dryer (not a passive dryer) otherwise the moisture freezes and things leak/break.

We’ll also be introducing hydraulic packers in the near(ish) future. They’ll be rated for low temperatures and you’ll have more precise control over the packing pressure.

1 Like

Arent your units already operating with a hydraulic cylinder? Or do you mean custom made cylinder?

Luna packer we had used an air ram

2 Likes

We use a pneumatic cylinder right now. We’re switching to hydraulics for better control. It took us awhile to figure out how to get a hydraulic ram to move quickly without a HUGE motor. We needed low force and high speed (as far as hydraulics go). We had to go with an oversized motor to get the flow rate we wanted while keeping the hydraulic fluid temps down. Our application (high flow / low pressure) creates a lot of heat for a hydraulic system.

2 Likes