Any help would be much appreciated im having Very slow recovery times with my CMEP OL

Im saying with your nitrogen assist and your solvent tank going in dry ice or on a chiller passive should work good.

Sorry I should have worded that better lol.

1 Like

Gotcha lol thanks man :+1:

1 Like

How warm are you getting your gas? You should be getting around .5lbs a min on the high end with 1 cmep.

1 Like

Butane i usually have in a bucket of dry ice before the initial soak. Then after the dump i put the collection pot in luke warm water and periodically swap it starts getting cold. Do you think a possible leak somewhere that im missing could cause the slow recovery?

Get the pump up as high as possible, gas will pool inside and ruin your bearings for 1 and also let gravity help your pump.

2 Likes

get some hotter water on the collection pot. this will speed you up.

2 Likes

Anywhere

1 Like

Jezz thats common sense dont know why that never crossed my mind :rofl: thank you. That’s def 1 thing I can see helping speed things up.

When I do runs I use a hot water bath. But what would you recommend the water being at the hottest? In my experience the hotter the water the softer the extract.

Id get to 100. Once it gets toward the bottom I would ease it down to about 90. There’s a bunch of discussion about how much terps can be affected by heat when enveloped by butane. Id say 100 and when your pot has less than 5-10% left pull back on temps

1 Like

I’be found pairing a cmep with those 1500 watt bucket heaters works pretty good.

1 Like

I ended up upgrading a jacketed 12"x36" collection vessel. Prob gonna be trying some type of water heater with a taco pump piped in to do the circulation thru the jacket.

I run passive with nitro push to move my tane. I keep my solvent tank frozen in DI slurry in a big triple insulated pseudo dewar we built with vermiculite and stainless. Once the butane is
Cryo cold it stays liquid. I put 20 lbs of liquid under pressure using my nitrogen tank to push the liquid through a coil in more DI slurry before it even enters the frozen dewax column. It’s hard to get the tane out of your material again because it likes that cold tube, I push it again with nitro into my recovery tank. Lastly, before it will reclaim you need to purge off all the nitrogen you used to push your column clean and what is left in the liquid tanking top of the heavy hydrocarbons before trying to reclaim back. I have a separate tank I use just to capture some pressure vs an open purge. Nitrogen is on the periodic chart high for a reason. It’s not going to condense with DI slurry it sits on top and makes fog. However it purges easy and when it’s gone I even pull a -30 vac on my liquid tank with liquid in it since it’s cold the butane keeps liquid and never boils off. Then It’s through the sieve, another coil and back to the tank to do it again. I left out a few steps but I’m sure you can piece it Together with enough research. Good luck. … go passive.

4 Likes

Those C1D1 bucket heaters?

2 Likes

The bucket heaters are scary imo. I had butane leak in the past from the shatter platter with a bad gasket. At the time i was carrying 5 gallon buckets of hot water from the kitchen to the garage. That sucked!! slipped off my porch during winter and dumped the whole 5 gallons on me​:rofl::rofl: good times.

2 Likes

Bucket heaters are certainly not c1d1 you should never have them near your extraction area. If you can keep a bucket in another room and have sufficeiemt pump it does work. Way better solution is to Have a tankless with a large enough reservoir to handle your recovery, with a water pump (eco pump 633 or larger depending on your hose length, and height of collection)w an in-line filter pumping water into tankless and hook 1/2 hoses to tank. Throw a Smart switch on water pump (which water flo activates tankless)and game over.

1 Like

:sweat_smile::joy:

1 Like

wait why would you have a tankless and a reservoir? wouldn’t a regular water heater work the same but be a fraction the cost?

Two solvent tanks will immensely increase efficieny in a passive setting. I run an empty 150lb solvent tank without an inline coil on recovery side, connected to another 150lb tank behind it. The first tank receives butane vapor, condenses that gas into liquid solvent, before it’s sent to the final 150# storage tank where it’s collected. The method to this technique is you keep the first solvent tank empty throughout the recovery process because the second tank is constantly drawing liquid solvent from the first. That way, once I fill the second 150# tank, the remaining butane captured (usually toward end of run) is stored in the empty 150# which is first in line on recovery. I’ve found this technique reduces loss of efficiency on the recovery side because there’s always a nearly empty solvent tank to capture any remaining solvent vapor. We can all remember the days of running LP tanks where you recover enough liquid solvent to max out the tank capacity and you see stagnant recovery rates because the capacity to recover solvent is lessened. If you bite the bullet on the cost of a few cheap China tanks with proper clamps and pressure regulation you can immensely increase your solvent recovery without a pump. Right now the minimum rate of recovery on my machine is one pound per minute passively. It’s not that I’m a passive purist, I simply can’t afford the chillers and pumps necessary to match the recovery rate I’m achieving through cold, insultaed, & unjacketed tanks. That being said, I’ve never maximized my operation while using pumps, rather I’ve only found them to impede process substantially. Instead, create an SOP that specifically accommodates the amount of butane needing to be collected in reference to the volumetric capacity of your solvent storage tank/s. The greater storage capacity you have, the less detriment you will find in your solvent recovery. Hope this helps, J

1 Like

Who said you need crazy chillers, or anything like that to max out your recovery? I would recommend “a Big Boy Condenser” to expedite your recovery! Here’s 1 example: Big boy condenser - #20 by FicklePickle, and another: Big boy condenser - #28 by Soxhlet. I’m not sure of the recovery rates for the first 1, because as he says he couldn’t hardly keep it fed with vapor. The second, they were getting in the neighborhood of 18 pounds per minute using straight N-tane.

I do like the idea of using 2 solvent tanks for recovery though! Vapor going into the first 1 pushes the condensed LPG through the diptube into the second tank… And even at 1 pound per minute, that’s still respectable and better than more than a few recovery pumps!

Welcome back! Seeing as how it’s been 2 years since your last post!

1 Like