Another thread on flushing cannabis

Hey guys I wanted to make this thread to get some opinions on flushing the medium prior to harvest. I know that its been covered a million times on other forums, I just value the opinion here more. I flush whether I’m running salts, or organics, while many people may disagree with doing it with organics, or even both, I only speak from my own anecdotal results. My main question I wanted to get some opinions on is this, I usually PH my water when flushing as my well water comes out above 8. Now this may be pure laziness, but year after year, across different projects, I’ve always wondered if PHing the water is really neccessary? Going by the fact that the water will still dissolve nutrients in to solution regardless of the PH you would think it doesnt matter. But when I think about it more scientifically, water is a polar solvent, and the fact that the solute would would more likely to be dissolved in water if it was the correct corresponding PH according to what makes up the solute is what confuses me. Now I know that these nutrients are absorbed by the routes by the means of cation exchange, so it leads me to believe that PHing the water is necessary, because inorder to get things attached to the roots you need the correct PH but the other part of me believes that if you just flush it with enough water, any water, it would yield the same result??

Pretty much what I’m saying is calcium - negatively charged, phos - negatively charged , potas - positively charged. So if you wanted to dissolve the calcium, nitrogen, and phos thats in the medium would it not be best to use high PH water? But on the other side of it, will the roots release the nutrients if they arent replaced with something else negatively charged?

If theres any errors in my reasoning, specifically in the science I mentioned, please correct me, because I know I’m wrong in more than one regard. I really want to hear what people have to say, and in fact I’ll run a side by side as we finish, the only problem is that there are many many variables that could influence the results. Opinions??

9 Likes

Just remember, you’re flushing the plant, not just the roots or dirt.

I use either hard tap water or an isotonic solution to flush.

https://scienceinhydroponics.com/2010/09/making-isotonic-solutions-for-draining-preparing-your-own-and-better-clearex.html

4 Likes

With organics I flush 7 days typically, but even if I don’t flush & chop when I want to, the program I run I hardly notice any difference in taste profile or potency. But to each their own, I just 7 days flush to ease my mind lmao, I recommend atleast 10-14 days flush if you’ve been using pesties. But if you use SALTS, FLUSH YA PLANTS ATLEAST 14 DAYS. I can’t say that enough, you know why most salt based growers have a harsh taste? It’s not only in your cure it’s in your growing. If you don’t flush the salts or nutes, they’ll act as a carbohydrate & convert along side the sugar & create more starch. Along side ethylene & nasty no flushy salts, = harsh nose & throaty hurts.

Organically speaking, no shop around me I garuntee grows a smoke as smooth as I do, I’ll place my last set of bay11x Mac on that one!

5 Likes

What is the hydro solution for flushing? Pure water just makes the plants start dying immediately. A friend used some gh product that is supposed to flush and his stuff tasted like fabric softener.

1 Like

I use Herculean Harvest 2 oz per gallon.

1 Like

@FicklePickle what’s the DWC downlow

1 Like

But that’s what people are actually doing, they are flushing the root zone.

It’s like claiming that the car engine is cleaner after washing the car’s hood.

Nutrients are locked in the plant, and an external flush cannot undo the complex biology that locked them in.

4 Likes

RO water leaches salts from cell walls and can actually make them burst. It can lower yields and make everything taste like chlorophyll. It also ruins the shelf life.

Check out the Science in Hydroponics link on isotonic solutions that I posted in this thread earlier.

3 Likes

I use UC roots (Hypochlorous acid) at 5-7ml a gallon for 2 days then 2 full res changes over 4 days with fresh RO water until the ppm reads close to 0.

5 Likes

slf-100

best flush ever. it’s not intended solely for this but it works great flushing a plant. I was running calcium carbonate organic soil based so maybe that why it worked so good

4 Likes

Why not just use water only the last 2 weeks of flower? I’ve done the bro-science flushing when I started growing. Then I wised up and went water only the last 2 weeks.

And a true “flush” is 3x the pot size for water. Example, if your using 10 gallon pots, each pot gets 30 gallons.

Imo, that’s just plain FN crazy

15 Likes

I say if she’s runnning clear, & no ph change, flush is doing its job

3 Likes

100%

Bring on those fall colors!

4 Likes

Thays easy to do. It’s called the autumning-off tek.

Last 2 weeks start lowering day and night temps.

3 Likes

Of course! I was just stating that when flushing for 2 weeks (as anyone in a potted plant or rock wool should be doing), you’ll get great fall colors through out the canopy.

It’s not necessary in rdwc for me to flush that long, so I rarely see the fall colors in my canopy.

6 Likes

Colors are due to the absence of chylorphyl and temp changes. Not flushing.

3 Likes

By not feeding nutrients for a long period of time you will absolutely get yellow leaves (loss of chlorophyll)

6 Likes

@AgTonik have any science that actually shows lower levels of nutrients in flower after a “flush”?

2 Likes

Isn’t that a cannabislistic though ? The plant using stored nutes f4om the leaf ergo the N fade

1 Like

Where is it sending those nutrients? Have you ever seen a flower “fade”?

1 Like