Another first SPD run WOO!

I cannot thank ya’ll enough for the help. If it weren’t for the future4200 bros I’d probably still be sitting here watching my heads barely drip. I look forward to contributing in the same way you helped me. As I have mentioned on a previous post I have a few years experience in the pharma manufacturing world and I have some ideas for improving extraction and filtration. I am an open source, Linux kinda guy so when I get to set my experiments up I will be chronicling them on here. Now, on to the after action review…

6 Likes

I love seeing this. THIS-IS-AWE-SOME CLAP-CLAP-CLAPCLAPCLAP

1 Like

AAR

All went relatively well given my n00bness imho. I have distillate. I am happy about that. I tried doing the process on my first go starting with trim so there were a lot of opportunities to make mistakes along the many steps.

I made an initial small test batch of dry ice and alcohol crude and it came out absolutely perfect, dab worthy stuff right out of the roto. I replicated that process on a larger amount of the same batch of trim and wound up with crude that was quite strange. It smelled right but it was thin and runny. I suspect that some alcohol that got mixed 50/50 with RODI water as roto coolant may have gotten dumped back in with my extraction solvent and caused me to pull water solubles. I also had an issue with a cheap thermometer I was using to measure the solvent temp giving me wildly inaccurate readings such that my temps were probably far too high to avoid pulling waxes. The crude even felt waxy. If I put some on my finger and then smeared it around with some water, I could see the water get milky in appearance.

So, now my first pass distillate looks normal but smells very terpy and is also a tad runny. The remnants in the flask are very solid, almost plastic like. Whatever is lowering the viscosity of the crude came over at least somewhat in the distillate.

I am confident that if I am careful with the next extraction I can eliminate these issues, but I do wonder, as my organic chemistry knowledge is limited, what exactly happened here. All thoughts are welcome and if it helps some future noob out there, all the blessings for it.

Thanks again all!

Way to go bro :clap::clap:
Well the left overs in the flask are probably sugars and if you haven t cleaned the flask right away
You will regret that today :grin:
But sevaral cleaning tech hiden in treads over here
Ok so the terpy smell etc etc
You can preform an aditional winterization before 2 pass. To make sure all fats and waxes are out

Still in your distillate will be taken care of on second pass

3 Likes

@Fern not trying to steal your post but there are so many first disty threads I didn’t wanna clutter up the place…

I recently had some disty that was put to much terps on it so I extracted it outta the carts w ethanol which made It dark amber

I got the hang of it pretty quickly just silly up any those darn leaks was hardest part . I wonder if disty would make better vac grease

Well here it is I pulled most the mains first time so this time just went straight through
I was pretty proud myself now. But was only way to recover the over tempered disty

Here she is was super light yellow

3 Likes

Sorry I misread your post lol.

My bad. Lol. Thought you were telling him that he was cluttering up the place.

Looking solid bro.

1 Like

And like I said I didn’t wanna make the 1000th my first disty run thread to clutter up the place. I noticed how old it was but when I had no question and just wanted to post success from reading future all the time I didn’t wanna make a new one

3 Likes

:green_heart::facepunch:

Thanks buddy

@Pupparoo
Everyone made disty look so hard but running bho w no helper is a pain

Nice! Always makes me happy to see some one picking up the art. The first time I saw that golden coil I was so relieved I nearly fell over.

As for using disty for vac grease I think it’s great for lower temperature applications but as soon as it gets warm it seems to loose any ability to hold vac. Others may disagree and if it works for them, more power to 'em.

6 Likes