anhydrous alcohol (Ethanol) vs Hexane

Ive read somewhere that hexane was not supposed to be used on anything for human consumption yet I see lots of threads using hexane. My question is, what benefits do one gains from using such, quote un quote, “toxic” solvents over 99% anhydrous alcohol… Taking in consideration that we use proper filter mediums such as 1 micron filter paper, Diatematious earth, activated charcoal and fullers earth… Is it yield? Higher thc content? What is it? Thanks for the time.

1 Like

Hexane is is a very much used solvent in the food industry think soy products and several other
Hexane is nasty for those that have to work with it so good practice and workspace is
Hexane is a strong solvent and it s biggest advantages are
It does not pick up a lot of chlorofyl at room temp
It does not pick up many water solubels
Like sugars
It does pick up a lot of fats and waxes
But when used at cryo temps this is minimal
Hexane has a very low scent treshhold of 30ppm wich makes it a bad choice for crude oil tinctures but great for distillates
Another advantage of hexane is it s willingness to evaporate up to 3x faster than ethanol
With less energy needed

4 Likes

Here in Italy, hexane Is still used for the second and third pass on spent, cold pressed, olive oil Biomass, in order to extract the residual fraction of oil… Actually the NOT Extra Virgin Olive Oil, the really clear One almost transparent Is very likely extracted with hexane… And used at almost all restaurante across the country… Hexane Is a really good solvent, Just need to be handled with care and need some permits… Actual price of solvent grade hexane in Italy Is 1,6€/liter…

1 Like

I extract often with hexane for
I realy rips of all cannabinoids in 2 washes beter than ethanol

1 Like

Gotcha.

Do you redissolve your Hexane crude in Ethanol?

For winterization ?
If i have to winterize i redisolve in methanol and do a roomtemp filtration treu aluminium oxide mesh 60
First then cryo winterization adding a table spoon of bentonite clay for floculation and a the spoon of citric acid for a degumming step once cryo i filter
By decanting the solvent leaving the fats behind wich i rinse with already ready cryo solvent leave standing and decant again once most fats have dropped
I try to avoid filtering the fats for its a pain

1 Like

Not winterization, I was just thinking to get rid of the Hexane.

The scent treshhold can indeed be
Remuved by boiling in a higher boiling. Point alcohol yet it may take quite some volume to purge hexane out this way

1 Like