American Chemical Society (ACS) Presentation

Hello eveyone,

I was given a chance to speak at an upcoming ACS conference at the Pennsylvania Convention Center this March. Following are details about the presentation:

Title: Edibles: The Chemistry Behind Orally Consuming THC

Abstract:
Everyone has heard a story or two about the friend who ate one to many edibles but little is known publicly about why oral ingestion causes a different experience compared to smoking or the inhalation of THC. My presentation will take my audience through the life cycle of orally ingesting THC and how the body breaks down and absorbs cannabinoids. This will go into detail about the main active metabolite 11-Hydroxy THC (11 OH THC) and inactive metabolites; 11-nor-9-carboxy-THC (THC COOH) and Glucuronide.

My idea is to walk through the cycle of THCA from the plant all the way until its excreted from the body. So far I believe I understand how THC is metabolized in the liver and CYP P450 converts it to 11 OH THC and then THC COOH.

Im looking for help finding sources on 11 OH THC’s potency when related to THC and to see if anyone has any resources on this topic. I believe this is a great opportunity to teach people on the difference between vaporization and oral consumption.

@Photon_noir Do you have any resources or information regarding this topic?

Would anyone be interested in a copy of the presentation once it is finished? I would also like to see if this interests anyone else.

16 Likes

I’m sure a lot of us would be interested. I’d especially be interested in chemistry behind some people being relatively immune to edibles vs smoking, and what can be done to overcome that by various means.
Edit: It would be interesting to hear your take on modulating availability and effects of various cannabinoids as well.
Way to go for being invited to speak at an ACS conference!

1 Like

I think I have a bit of literature on this (some from ACS publications I think) but I’ll need time to dig through my library of articles. I’ll shoot you a DM in due time with the appropriate literature.

To that end though, is there anything in particular you’re looking for? Enzymatic processes? Chemical properties? Physiological effects? It will help me narrow down what’s relevant to YOU. :slight_smile:

I’d also be interested in a copy of your presentation when you’re finished! :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks! I dont think this talk is going to go into how some people are immune to edibles but I am certainly interested in that! It for sure could be part of my next talk or a talk in itself. I also like your idea of a scientific discussion on the effects of different cannabinoids as well.

Right now im looking for information regarding the potency of 11- OH- THC vs Delta 9 THC. Ive read claims of it being 3-10x as potent but have yet to find any source to back that up. I know its more bio available because it has the OH group and know its more sedative from extensive experience but I have no proof. Do you have any literature on that?

I think I understand the enzymatic process but If you have any literature on that I would love to read that too.

I look forward to the DM and I can provide a copy of the presentation when I finish the rough draft.

thc pk 2019.pdf (745.1 KB)

good paper to get you started. There are also several different reasons (HPA axis, estrogen receptor expression in the amygdala via neural crosstalk, etc) that bring about sex differences in the metabolic fates of cannabinoids. For example, women are 4-6x more likely to get IBS/PBS due to how cortisol affects the female brain, which then talks to the gut, which then releases inflammatory molecules in the viscera.

Pubmed is a great resource; if the paper isn’t open source, go to sci-hub and enter in the URL or DOI, and you’ll have every academic paper out there for free. You’ll want to look for human pharmacokinetic studies ‘pk studies’. Would love for people to upload papers they find for collaboration!

3 Likes

You should contact @theyogibear13 on Instagram! Tell him I sent you, if you like! He will have tons more saved documents on the subject than I do! :wink:

2 Likes

Ayeeeee Finally ive been looking to get more info on this topic just never had time to look

1 Like