Alternative for chloroform

What are you extracting the bio wax from? Plant material or oil?

Dcm is more easily obtainable than chloroform. But halogenated hydrocarbons shouldn’t be used for extracts. Maybe molly or Lucy or sally, but not mary
So, as others have said, what is your application and yeah what is Biowax?

4 Likes

never heard of sally lol

1 Like

Sassy sally ?

1 Like

Sassafras

2 Likes

I’m not sure I hear it is mda but I believe it’s a ghettochem version that’s impure

Ethanol, Butane, Propane,IsoButane, Acetone, Isopropyl, Hexane, Methanol, Pentane and Heptane are currently what’s being used to make Cannabis Concentrates

Idk why you would use Chloroform or Ether but… I guess when in a second world country.

4 Likes

Precursor.

I believe.

Extra rapey dabs. Bill Cosby is going to drop a product line when he gets out.

9 Likes

Bio wax = live resin?

This thread makes me laugh too much i’m gonna find a different one

2 Likes

My go to bad pick up line ‘does this rag smell like chloroform to you?’ hold up a napkin or something and youd be surprised how many people start to smell it before they fully process what you said

7 Likes

We are going to use it as a solvent in rotary evaporator to extract wax from a plant, but we are prohibited to use such, so we need a safer alternative

1 Like

Sassafras toot bark contains essential oils which are primarily made up of a compound called safrole, which is an easy precourser to MDA and MDMA if you don’t mind handling extremely reactive bromine gas.

MDA is the less common, non methylated form of MDMA - it is the same difference between adderall amphetamine (which is shorthand for the mouthful AlphaMethylPHenEThylAMINE) and methamphetamine - MDA is an amphetamine with a methylene-dioxide group attached and MDMA is a methamphetamine skeleton with a methylene-dioxide group.

Sassafras smells like root beer because it’s a primary component in the old recipe, it was the target of a smear campaign in the 70s which labeled it as a liver killer, there was a study where scientists injected rats with large doses of pure safrole and watched as their livers failed- this proved beyond a reasonable doubt that large injected doses of safrole were not good for rats- so they banned its use for consumption in humans.

Sassafras tea is a fantastic mood lifter and euphoriant, we extract the dried roots with ethanol and use it in cocktails or alone, very astringent and barkey but gives a lot of root beer taste and has a nice energizing effect…

4 Likes

Why prohibited?

Basically any alkane or alcohol is a safer alternative. What wax are you trying to extract… Do you really want the waxes or do you want the cannabinoids? Do you want waxes that coat trichomes or waxes that make up the cuticle of the leaf?

Also you have a rotovap and you’re worried about using flammable gasses?

Ethanol

1 Like

@bombaah you have been asked repeatedly to clarify your intent.
you would still be served by defining “bio-wax”.

…and I’ll repeat the part where you are asking folks who try to avoid picking up fats and waxes how to extract them.

OK, you can’t use chloroform. Why even mention it? You can’t use it, and we don’t use it…at least not for extracting cannabiniods, which is primarily why the rest of us are here.

look up the solubility of vegetable oil in various solvents, or read the paper you were linked (twice).

the data points WE care about are “which solvents pick up the LEAST wax”.

if you had defined WHICH plant you were planning to extract from, you could have avoided a lot of guessing: many of the responses you’ve gotten clearly assume you’re using “bio-wax” as a euphemism for cannabis extract.

give us context. you’ve mentioned “us students”. is that U.S. students? college? kindergarten? school project?

are you asking someone to do your assignment for you?

give us details. or we can’t help.

Edit: check out @Beaker’s work Wax in solvent solubility test

1 Like

You could use a closed loop but an extraction unit, run warm, saturate the material for 30 minutes to an hour and then recover and pour up.

Again like @cyclopath stated the goal everyone here is going for is the LEAST amount of waxes and fats.

I suppose you could do a really really long ethanol soak until the alcohol is dark as holy hell and then you could just not filter it.

What is your end goal though? Like are you making shatter, wax, honeycomb/crumble, CRC concentrates? Like what is this barbaric wax seeking all about?

1 Like