Alternative cooling methods for etoh

Hey guys. Hope all is well with all. I am attempting to upgrade my tek and want to know what alternatives there are to dry ice to chill my ethanol to cryo temps for extraction. Currently using dry ice and it’s alright but I know there’s better alternatives.

Cryogenic freeZers on a budget?
Maybe a coil that I can dip in the bucket of etoh? Jacketed solvent tanks? I don’t know lemme know what ideas you got. I soak 4 L of ethanol in one pound of herb and then use that same etoh 3 more times before straining and evaporating in my roto.

So I would need something capable of chilling etoh that has already been mixed with biomass.

Sorry if this post seems wasteful.

Also my financier just said that doing bucket tek in Home Depot buckets is bad because the Ethanol breaks down the plastic ? He wants to get all stainless buckets. Can someone tell me he’s wrong?

1 Like

Methods for Cryo ethanol
Your volume a Cryo freezer is the best solution for your volume is small
Do not place more than 20 kg at a time in the freezer so to go easy on iT s compressor
Make sure You work in stainless steel by then a insulated sleeve on the stainless steel "Bucket and a lid " make a lot of sense

2 Likes

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home-Depot-5-gal-Homer-Bucket-3-Pack-05GLHD2/100672960

material listed as “polyethylene” guessing HDPE but could be LDPE or UHMW
https://www.calpaclab.com/chemical-compatibility-charts/

Homedespot says: " * Buckets are not food grade"

if they are financing, and have concerns, they ought should buy a better bucket.
if they’re not a chemist, they should look harder before making statements regarding chemical compatibility…

2 Likes

Home Depot buckets are HDPE last time I checked. Better to move away from plastic in favor of stainless for other reasons though. Plastic likes to crack at colder temps.

2 Likes

I would move to stainless steel.

Some of the white buckets at Walmart are marked food grade. They cost $3. Look like they are HDPE.

1 Like

The white buckets are the food grade ones. I think all food grade buckets are white in order to keep people from mixing them up - the dyes used in the plastics are also probably not food grade and may not be tested for as many contaminants and toxins.

2 Likes

The buckets themselves also have to be manufactured using a higher standard of cleanliness and in facilities that have tighter controls over a myriad array of contaminating factors. The material is not the process.

1 Like

Shouldn’t stainless be used around the board? Plastic cracks, right? Plastic also leeches.

Yeah, stainless is certainly a better material for the task.

Kicking the (plastic) bucket at -70c might be more excitement that one really needs in their day

5 Likes

tried tracking down info on how cold is too cold for HDPE.

so far all I’ve found is the glass transition temp for LDPE.
not sure that it translates well into real world performance, but it’s enough for me to get some samples and experiment. Certainly suggests that Polyethylene is my best bet.

http://www.appstate.edu/~clementsjs/polymerproperties/plastics_low_temp.pdf
05%20AM

Edit: although now I know I’m looking for the glass transition…

UHMW PE …becomes brittle at temperatures below −150 °C (−240 °F)

and

HDPE Properties:
Flexible, translucent/waxy, weatherproof, good low temperature toughness (to -60’C), easy to process by most methods, low cost, good chemical resistance

so perhaps kicking that bucket isn’t such a big deal after all :thinking:

7 Likes

I used to run bho and cracked a bucket trying to get my closed loop out of the dry ice bath. Finally got it out but ended up using that same bucket months later for an etoh wash and immediately was like fuck. Lesson learned. Smash cracked buckets cause one day you might use them for something other than dry ice pellets.

Lovin the responses.