Alkaline Beam (how to test for CBD) and a Fast Decarb Test Method

Now I’m curious! I wonder if just gypsum would work or if the silica is a necessary ingredient. I wonder if another adsorbent would work either (I see a future use for all that zeolite dust that seems to accumulate in our media drying ovens)

5 Likes

drywall?!?

2 Likes

It’s traditionally “the other stuff” in TLC plates so who knows. Certainly cheaper to buy your analytical supplies at home depot than sigma

3 Likes

Calcium carbonate, gypsum and other such natural materials wer among the first ever used to perform chromatography! :wink:

11 Likes

this works for sodum hydroxide as well.

I have had traces of CBD show up pink even when doing sodium bicarbonate washes.

I think the colour change will work with all alkali bases.

4 Likes

I just wanna piggyback onto this with a visual I made showing common test material

25 Likes

If the weight samples (let’s say dried flower or distillate) were the same, can they show the CBD potency relative to another sample?

If you hit cbd oil and a spectrophotometer a simple calibration curve will help answer that question.

I think it just shows the relative concentration, I didn’t weigh the samples out

1 Like

does anyone have a good source for HDPE squeeze bottles? The e-juice style ones, 60-100ml or so? I got a lot of interest in this stuff on instagram, I’d like to give some away but need to pack it properly

1 Like

Interesting image. What about CBDa and THC D-9 ?

I’d have to go buy CBDa, I guess I could just decarb for the d9 though. I’ll try it with some of the d8 sample I have too

Is the hemp flower in your pic decarbed ?

Probably at least partially, it’s at least a year old. The thc flower wasn’t

You mean this one Amazon.com

1 Like

Yessm

1 Like

Does the d8 show any color using the beam test? Or its the lack of color that you’re looking for with D8 like with D9

I’m not sure, I’ll test for that soon though, I need to make more of the reagent

speaking of which, does anyone know if denatured alcohol or isopropyl will work for the beam test? I’d like to make a few bottles to give away but I don’t want to spring for food grade alcohol if I can avoid it

2 Likes

Works for THC in general

Never tried denatured…not sure