Alconox question, some got poured into a solvent barrel

@Photon_noir
@cyclopath
@Soxhlet

I used alconox last night to clean out a boiling flask and I had pulled an all nighter, so I didn’t wash out the 10l beaker I had used to mix it with water.

Next day it was a mad house at the lab and I had to leave to grab some things and asked a minion to empty the etho out of the roto. Minion then, not knowing about the alconox in the beaker, used it to drain the roto and pour it into the 55 gal drum. I noticed this when I got back and I’m worried about the barrel being contaminated to the point that it’s unusable. Now there wasn’t more than residuals left in the beaker, nevertheless I’m very concerned about this situation.

Should I just discard the barrel for safeties sake?

2 Likes

Minion. Do they like that?

1 Like

It’s a term of endearment

12 Likes

TBH I don’t know for sure what the answer is. I would toss it. BUT maybe theres a cool experiment here. Maybe you can either evaporate the Etoh out and or the Alconox depending which BP is higher. Chances are they’re too close to each other to do that though? Would love for a chemist who knows his shit to chime in cuz I’ve always wondered this.

100% term of endearment. Honestly I only used the term cause it’s widely used on this site. I should have said homie.

Anywho, yeah there was no actual powder, more steaks of residue and it actually stayed in there after trying to remove it with acetone, so I’m wondering if it never made it into the barrel at all. But being that I’m not comfortable deciding without someone who knows first giving the ok I asked the question here.

3 Likes

What the fork happened to the post after mine about @anon42519203 talking about alconox in solvent. It disappeared before I went to check. And the date I thought it was isn’t showing any information.

Anyone remember?

Edit: actually accidentally got on to another post without noticing, so no dabs with alconox.

I’m sorry for your loss, move on.

All kidding aside, we’ve taken a hit one time of mixing a barrel. We poured THC-infused EtoH (from THC remediation equipment) into a FRESH drum of 99% EtoH. We all swore we would double check religiously.

I don’t know if it’s worth the time to remove the Alconox from the EtoH, but I don’t know how difficult / easy it could be.

2 Likes

I got nothing. Other than ‘minion’ around here is probably my fault.

9 Likes

Aight, thanks. I’m gonna mark the barrel ‘do not use’ until anyone says otherwise.

Thanks peeps.

Best case scenario you can rotovap your EtOH and get it clean.

I’d look out for foaming issues during boiling though!

Alconox might be willing to address this question themselves. Have you asked them?

2 Likes

No, I should call them tomorrow.

Toss it. Even if you were able to remove the chemical, you could still have residuals.

Cyclopath, it’s ok, sir, I ride dumb bikes too. I set a fixed single speed record on the buttermilk trail. Too bad no one was watching. Also, notice the sir?

1 Like

I don’t mind being a broken record saying thank you for all you do here.

1 Like

Minion reporting. Over and out.

1 Like

I dont remember posting anything on the alconox issue

Wouldn’t the alconox go to the water layer in a l2l?

1 Like

Yeah, but we are trying to remove soap from ethanol. So I don’t understand the plan. Adding water gets us wet soapy ethanol. Which sounds like less fun than where we started (It’s much harder to set ethanol on fire once you get it wet :rofl: ).

Distilling it doesn’t seem like a horrible idea, and adding a little water first wouldn’t hurt.

I’m curious what OEM has to say

2 Likes

I misread the op… I thot we was trying to save some errl, whoops…

1 Like

Yeah, I slipped into another post and thought I was still on this one. Phone playing tricks on me.

I did call alconox, but they’d closed, so I’ll try again tomorrow.