Air leak roto? But where?

Hello, I sprang a leak in my 2L. Couldn’t figure out where it was from until I heard some hissing and then found an orange o-ring almost all the way through to my condenser. Sounds like it’s actually in the mechanism itself because I pulled the glass rod from inside that holds the BF and cover2d the joint. Still was a leak inside the mechanism. Anyone have a similar problem like this?

so your leaking from 3 potential places; the vapor tube itself and the rotating mechanism cannot leak; however what can leak are the the seals incorporated into them; check the Teflon seat going to the condenser; also check the envelope seal if this roto has one. next check the mechanical seal that seals the boiling flask to the unit; typically these are two parts; the Teflon seat that indexes into the rotating assembly and the plastic/rubber “diaphragm” that indexes into and compresses onto the Teflon seat; if that plastic diaphragm is hard and not pliable or cracked; time to get a new one.

inspect all orings for cuts and debris.
clean; lightly grease everything; double check integrity and reassemble and see what happens.

2 Likes

Got frustrated and left shop for the day. Thank you so much for your help. I will be back tomorow and will let you know how it goes.

What I’ve learned, getting above 60 degrees Celsius on my roto, I end up breaking something because of the heat. No more of that shit…

(It could be more then 60 heat because i decarb mostly on roto then the rest on hot plate… go up to 100 degrees Celsius in roto.)

55* was my max. More heat, better cooling you need, and you can run a deeper vac.

A few tricks I picked up running over 400 gallons.

1 Like

Where does this orange rubber o ring go? I thought it was for vapor tube but then I realized the orange o ring was in the condenser after a bump. Had to be where the condenser and rotating mechanism is.

This is where I put it but I’m getting a leak still when I put in here. Everything looks good and not cracked. The orange o ring is the culprit I’m thinking. I just can’t find where it needs to be

Brand new seals did the trick for the air leak. Anyone know if I have to oil my motor every now and then. Seems like it’s getting quite hot.

Usually they take grease on the worm screw but that won’t make much of a difference for the motor itself. How hot is hot? Like burn your hand hot?

2 Likes

is it wired properly?

It’s hot enough to make you not to be able to touch it long. Never really checked it to try though. I run it for about 8 hours at a time. Its electrical so I’m assuming it should be normal. Although it is a leakphan product if you know what I mean… lol