Air cleaner

I assume the ProGuard cataltist is titinatum.

Entry-level consumer air sanitizers that use photocatalytic oxidation (PCO) aren’t a good choice for cannabis cultivation due to the dangerous byproducts formed under high humidity (>60%) and elevated CO2. Byproducts include ozone, formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, formic acid, and acetic acid. PCO typically uses titanium as the catalyst and is activated with UV. Unfortunately, many entry-level consumer air sanitizers marketed to growers use poorly desinged PCO/titanium or inappropriate technology, including ozone and ROS.

I can’t say if the ProGuard releases those harmful byproducts, but my guess is they do, considering their price and size. I would request information from the company to verify whether they release any byproducts, including ozone, formaldehyde, and acetaldehyde. The last two are produced in the most significant amounts by entry-level PCO systems.

Many consumer PCO air sanitizers don’t do a great job sanitizing the air because PCO doesn’t deactivate microbes without additional UV-C. They are geared more toward VOC removal, and they are poorly designed with limited efficacy lifetime.

NASA initially developed PCO to remove VOCs, including ethylene, while in space. It’s great for homes with average humidity (<50%) and CO2 (<600 ppm) levels. But the entry-level PCO systems are not great for grow rooms.

The major VOC growers need to be concerned about is ethylene because high ethylene concentrations are toxic to plants, causing leaf chlorosis, stunted plants, and small flowers. In an air-sealed grow room with CO2 enrichment that doesn’t exhaust any air, ethylene released by flowering plants can quickly build up to toxic levels once the lights turn off.

Some HVAC companies manufacture high-quality PCO systems that do not release those dangerous byproducts and are effective in high humidity and elevated CO2. The TCACS system by TRANE is an excellent example of effective and safe PCO with UV-C germicidal irradiation at the tune of $25,000. What I don’t like about TRANE’s TCACS is the MERV 13 filter because humidity (>60%) reduces filtration efficacy, so frequent changes are necessary.

I am consulting on the final stages of phase 1 built-out and operation for a large cultivation and processing facility in northern MI. The 20,000 cubic foot phase 1 grow rooms were designed and built before I was hired. Unfortunately, following the advice of other facility owners, the owners went with an individual heat pump mini-split per grow room (no HVAC). So for those rooms, plus the veg room, drying room, and extraction lab, I’m using the Sanuvox GrowSaver GC S1000-OC (one per room). I’m using the GrowSaver GC S300 – G2 for the kitchen and post-harvest quarantine and trim/manufacture rooms. I’m adding Sanuvox UV-C bars into the HVAC air handler (and maybe specific duct locations) that feeds all rooms except the grow rooms. For phase 2 build-out, I plan to use TRANE chiller/boiler HVAC for all grow rooms and install their TCACS system for odor, VOC, and germicidal control.

Air Cleaners to avoid for the Cannabis Grower: PCO, TiO2, Hydroxyl Radical OH- or R.O.S products

Sanuvox GC S1000 – OC

Cultivation Room Odor Control Option with Air Disinfection System

The Sanuvox Green Clean S1000-OC unit combines the synergistic capabilities of high intensity germ killing UV-C with a proprietary gas phase cannabis odor filter to reduce heavy cannabis odor within the cultivation rooms and to kill harmful biological contaminants, without producing ozone. Powdery Mildew, Botrytis, mold, and bacteria are destroyed by the (4) high intensity UV-C lamps, and the heavy cannabis odors are reduced with the use of the new GC S1000-OC model.

Engineered for rooms up to 25,000 cubic feet*, the GC S1000-OC unit continually disinfects and destroys odor at a performance rate of up to 99%. It is designed to be a self-operating unit that can be mounted onto a ceiling or a wall.

Sanuvox GC S300 – G2

Stand Alone UVC / HEPA Filter Air Disinfection System

The Sanuvox Green Clean S300-G2 unit combines the synergistic capabilities of high-intensity UVC, carbon and HEPA filtration to capture and kill harmful biological and chemical contaminants found within a Cannabis grow facility. Contaminants such as Powdery Mildew, Botrytis, molds, bacteria and associated odors are all disinfected or eliminated with the use of the GC S300-G2 model, without producing ozone.

Engineered for rooms up to 6,500 cubic feet* with no HVAC system, the GC S300-G2 unit continually recirculates and disinfects the air at a minimum of 3 to 8 times per hour depending on operational conditions. It is designed to be a self-operating unit that can be mounted onto a ceiling or a wall.

Trane TCACS

Trane Catalytic Air Cleaning System

The TCACS is far more than an air filter. It’s a one-of-a-kind blend of three technologies: filtration, germ-killing ultraviolet light, and a photocatalytic oxidation (PCO) process.

3 Likes

My guess is yes and yes. PCO is a good solution for ethylene if it’s well desinged, meaning it has zero emissions. But most PCO systems are not well designed.

Have you considered 1 or 2 air changes per day, with a UV-C irradiated MERV 14 or 15 or HEPA filter for the makeup air?

That bump out in the upper part of the ductwork is a pco panel, we’ve got merv 8 and merv 13 filters on the return.

Regarding the small pro guard units, they for sure help with vocs but it’s one of them things it’s hard to tell if it’s helping for sure.

4 Likes

do these things almost eliminate mold? Its usualy deep in the bud so Im not sure if environment can eliminate it.

Hi yall!
IME mold problems are predominant in vented systems because of the micro-dew created by the different temperature swings by lights on and off…it doesent really matter the sporeload of the room…
I run a sealed room with very high humidity till harvest 75-80% cause i noticed the plants love it under strong LEDs…never had a mold problem, but yes i noticed some black mold growing on the walls and some weird funk on the bamboo sticks…
So i had the idea of running a small air purifier in the room and …all the molds on walls and sticks completely disappeared (keeping the same high RH)
IMO the purifiers are very useful to keep the air quality of the room in check, eliminate dust and reduce significanty the sporeload, but if you are having mold problems, probably focus on eliminate temps swings and select a stronger genetics would be the best thing to do over an air purifier…

I have been looking around at scrubber options and this one always stands out.

It is an oxidizer and a ionizer. I am super curious how this thing effects your end product. The unit you mention creates h2o2 apposed to o3. Please keep us updated with how it work… if it eliminated ordor it’s a pretty good sign.

Looks nice! Who did you use for your duct-mounted PCO? Out of curiosity, why did you choose MERV 8 and 13? MERV 14 & 15 will filter spores and bacteria.

I agree on Pro Guard units. I suspect they release considerable ozone at the least, and at higher RH and CO2, their catalyst lifetime is significantly reduced.

I would be interested in what Mike claims the Aerus ozone byproduct concentration is at >60-70% RH and 1200-1600 ppm CO2; and whether those conditions reduce its catalyst lifetime. And if those conditions lead to formaldehyde and acetaldehyde byproducts.

I assume he refers to its use in a home, school, or hospital when RH is typically <50-55% and CO2 is <600-1000 ppm.

The company is called genesis Air, the hvac company said with high merv like 14 15 or hepa they will plug fast and cause airflow issues. With the merv 13 and the pco it should do what I need.

1 Like

The primary difference with HEPA vs MERV is that as MERV fails, it filters less versus HEPA filters generally just get loaded and cause massive friction losses. All MERV filters will remove spores, the rating is just what percentage of .3um particles are removed per pass. HEPA generally starts at 95% and then classes up to 99, 99.9, 99.95, 99.99 (these are referred to by their “h” class). For our TC lab we use h13 which I believe is 99.95

2 Likes

Thank you, stated more eloquently than I. In my mind, anything less than MERV 15 doesn’t filter spores because too great a % passes through the filter.

2 Likes

I use a carbon filter inline fan with a mushroom cap on top. Works for me

Tell your ac guy you need the return to bell out to fit 6- 20x25x5 Merv 17 filters. This does 2 things lowers the static pressure that stacking filters cause and makes filters live longer.

6 Likes

I loved this comment! I knew thicker filter = lower static pressure, but I didn’t realize stacking a few is the real ticket. Today, I spoke with our HVAC designer regarding stacking MERV 17, and he agreed with you.

I love that this allows MERV 17. My guy suggested stacking four 20x25x5, but he agreed six would be better when I mentioned your post.

Is there a reason for stacking six? Or would stacking fewer or greater offer benefit? And how does stacking affect filter life? For example, would the first few filters need to be changed more often than the last few filters in the stack?

Again, big props for turning on this light bulb for me.

1 Like

I said don’t stack them, build a filter wall that is 60x75x5. Transitions from existing return size to bell out for filtration. This is how we do hospitals.
You can put a low Merv first to catch the big shit that will plug the hepas

4 Likes

Ah, I misunderstood, and I also misunderstood my HVAC designer. It makes more sense now because I always thought stacking wasn’t good!

giphy

Still, what I wrote stands - I love your comment, and it turned on a light for me. Too bad it took two attempts for me to get it through my thick skull, lol.

555fb8d6-e297-4a0a-af23-1c4c80b859f8_text

3 Likes

I have a 400 sq ft unit with 100 plants. Central air unit is blowing on some of my table. The other tables are on the other side of the room. I want to get pro guard do you have any recommendations 2 years later based on your research and expertise? Does it produce ozone or by products? Anything safer for that small of a room you can vouch for?

Your air doesn’t sound too central if it’s not hitting all your tables.

Welcome to the future @Cmr081702!

1 Like

I have some proguard units and i like them. I also use heavy UV in my garden. MERV filters for your AC/head might be a good idea also

Heavy UV explain is it bad for your health and what do you use and how do you use how often etc?