Agricultural drones

I’m an A/V integrator that’s also been in the canna business a long time. I’ve installed a ton of surveillance and have been aware of the use of drones for large property surveillance. Now, I have access to agricultural drones that can gather all kinds of data on your crop health. Data is incredibly valuable in its own right, sometimes before you even know what to do with it.

Some of the information you can capture in a single flight include:

Vegetation indices (NDVI, CCCI, NDRE, MCARI, CWSI, et al)
Plant counts
Soil H20 levels
Soil temp
Topography / 3D mapping (limited / not survey quality)

No sizable hemp grow should be operating without utilizing the tech that’s readily available.

We offer services for inexperienced/unlicensed commercial drone operators.

8 Likes

Is this LIDAR technology?

Yes

Once base metrics are plugged into algorithms, you can predict biomass yields. :money_mouth_face:. The implications for increasing irrigation efficiencies alone mean that the tech pays for itself 20x, if not more.

2 Likes

How much does something like this cost, ballpark range? FYI I’m not a serious shopper, just tire kicking and wondering out of curiosity.

What is the average flight time, and how high does it fly, and how much area coverage?

2 Likes

$9-25k+ for equipment alone. There are service models too.

Most only go up to 400ft because that’s the height restriction anyhow. They fly for around an hour and can map around 500 acres on a single charge. There are a lot of factors that can affect these numbers, though.

1 Like

Those are powerful implications at 20X payback for water efficiency. At a base price quoted of 9-25K per unit not countng operator time you are suggesting up to one half million dollars in savings in water efficient usage is a realistic goal as a result of flying over the crop and mapping them by drone.

You did qualify the figure by saying the savings are implied. By exactly what method or technique or how precisely can up to one half million dollars in saving be realized by flying a drone over a crop can efficiency gains of such magnitude be realized??? I have tried to visualize how efficiency might manifest in perhaps increased yield but again exactly what is being made more efficient?

As a young man still in school I changed irrigation pipes in a variety of crops from mint to wheat to grass to you name it. Mostly 2 inch pipe but the sadistic farmers used 3 inch heavy ass pipes all linked together every twenty feet or so. From those years slogging through all those fields I have a good idea what typical crops take in terms of expense overall of water usage. Lol I doubt most of those agricultural farmers paid but a fraction total of a half million dollars for water.

Did I understand the sales claim correctly?

1 Like

Well, this IS hemp we’re talking about. Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t farmers realizing 1,000-1,500lbs per acre at, lets say, $50/lb?(for really high quality).

See, I’m not actually trying to sell anything. I am, however, in the position of being able to help facilitate that solution for someone that might be interested. Farmers, in general, across the country operate at a loss but profit only because they are substidized by the gov’t. This tech is standard these days for farmers that have crops far less valuable than hemp.

It’s not even the device that costs so much money. It’s really the service online that crunches all that data the sensors in your drone has collected throughout the flight that is pricey over time. On that note, it’s not the drone itself that represents the majority of the cost of the hardware. The sensors are the bulk of the expense. Some sensors, like the LIDAR tech @Future mentioned, can go into 6 figures.

@Beaker from reading many of your other posts throughout this forum, I can tell you’re a tuned in and smart guy. Being so, I’m sure you also realize how powerful data can be.

To answer your question directly, I wasn’t referring to saving money on the water itself, though it may have sounded like it. I was saying that you could identify areas where water was pooling or areas where plants were not getting as much juice. When you spread the value of something like this across plots of 250acres+, its pretty amazing.

3 Likes

DJI just released a $6500 drone for farmers that looks sweet.

https://dronedj.com/2019/09/24/dji-phantom-4-multispectral/

2 Likes