AgLAB D2 Mass Spec for Cannabinoids

Excited to introduce everyone to the AgLAB D2 Mass Spectrometer.

The D2 was born out of $80mm tech currently orbiting the earth in the International Space Station, and designed after the airport explosive trace detection scanners (we make and sell those too).

The D2 is the first ever near-real time mass spec built for cannabis. Sample prep consists of two easy dilutions, injecting a internal standard, and pipetting a sample onto a swab. After a quick evaporation on a hot plate, the sample is ready for analysis. All you do is push the swab into the machine and the mass spec analyzes the sample in ~15 seconds, then takes ~30 seconds to compute potency. We’ve had regular users get this process, from sample prep to potency data, in as quick as 2.5-3 minutes.

Because the D2 mass spec is much quicker than an HPLC, with equal accuracy, it can be used to collect rapid data from your processes, like distillation, and optimize your processing parameters to achieve maximum efficiency. Our research has shown that as much as 30% of recoverable cannabinoids are lost to heads and tails fractions when wiped film parameters are kept static. Using the D2, operators can make on-the-fly parameter adjustments to maximize potency and efficiency and ultimately, profits.

The D2 is also ruggedized and very simple to use. It can live in the room next to your wiped film and doesn’t need a devoted lab space or skilled operator.

At this time, the D2 analyzes cannabinoids at 314 amu and utilizes chemical ionization that causes decarb. That means cannabinoids that weigh 314 amu like d8/9/10 THC, CBD, CBC, CBL will be grouped together on the potency readout. While we are exploring the ability to perform MS/MS on these molecules, the trend data (cannabinoids in heads or tails fractions) is still invaluable. The D2 can differentiate CBN at 310 amu, and CBG at 316 amu, but these have not been added to the internal standard library yet.

The interface allows you to track historical data, and input wiped film parameters to track with each sample. There’s also a spectra view (note, the spectra in the image below is the initial scan at time 0.0 with no cannabinoids present. cannabinoids usually start to show up around 4.0-8.0 seconds and this can be viewed in depth by clicking on the spectra).

We are currently looking for large scale distillers to do free on-site demos for. We believe this machines can unlock millions of dollars of added revenue per year and want to show you just how easy it is to do.

DM me, or email me at bdubs@aglab.com to set up a call to discuss the equipment and the free demo.

5 Likes

In the past I’ve repeatedly tried contacting AgLab looking for a quote on a D1 unit but never got a response.

I called, emailed, left messages, did everything except send carrier pigeons and smoke signals.

Is this actually not vaporware? What are the approximate budgetary price points for a D1 or this D2 unit?

3 Likes

:exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

It’s certainly sleek, but…how does the price compare to a refurbished HPLC? $20-25k gets you kind of a lot in terms of a refurb LC or GC setup, and can test far more compounds.

6 Likes

This is really only true if you’re only focused on total cannabinoid content, the HPLC will be able to actually provide more accurate data as it can discern between the cannabinoids whereas it seems like the D2 lumps them all together at a single AMU (outside of CBN and CBG).

I think it would be more fair to describe the D2 as being as precise as an HPLC but I wouldn’t say it is as accurate if it’s unable to measure the same data in the same granular way.

Also, depending on the price, what would make this more beneficial than just having a GC/MS combo with a fast GC method? Something similar to this:
jfda-26-04-1283.pdf (996.5 KB)

A run time of only about 7 min isn’t too bad even in real-time, you could probably skip some, if not all, of the derivatization steps to speed up sample prep since at the stage of distillation everything is probably already decarbed. You also gain the benefit of being able to differentiate your cannabinoids.

Genuinely curious if the price point for this is low enough that it would make more sense to have less granular data than just having an in-house GC/MS with a fast method for real time quantification.

I have absolutely no experience or any interactions whatsoever with this company or any of its products but based Solely on your statements it seems to me a bit scary to invest money in a product that when you want to give the company money it’s impossible to get a hold of them. What do you think will happen when you need customer support after you already gave them the money?

2 Likes

That is where I thought their D1 unit made sense - I seem to remember them claiming under 1 minute to results, online from your process stream.

To be fair, that describes a shocking number of companies that we’ve dealt with in this industry as well as in many others.

But I do agree completely. I very much doubt that the price to value ratio would ever work out with this company, especially as I would have to consider it fully unsupported, but it’s potentially quite interesting tech.

I apologize for this. They did not have a sales team until now. If you need anything, please reach out directly to me.

The D1 is still being developed and is still some time from being a final product.

Only the D2 unit is available at the moment. We’ve built the first 11 units, 7 are available, and 89 more are in production.

That’s fair. precision is equivalent. Not accuracy.

A standard gc/Ms is generally a large capitol investment, takes a skilled operator and a lot of upkeep. We’ve simplified this process and machine.

They were not ready to sell units when those people contacted us. We now have a full sales and support team.

Re: service and contactability.

I truly apologize for those who had a poor past experience trying to get information on the D2. The system has just been released for sale and we’ve just hired a sales and support team to make sure everything runs smooth.

A lot of you know me from over the years, a lot of you don’t. I am staking my rep on this product and our service. As your salesman and point person for anything you need, my cell phone is on 24/7 and I will personally be handling your account. If I drop the ball, you can destroy me on social media and ruin my career.

3 Likes

Cool. Let’s see a budgetary price range on the available unit then. Call for quote sure isn’t gonna cut it here.

4 Likes

@CannaChemistry I’d love any and all technical information you have on this mass spec!

It sounds like there is no chromatography on the front end? I feel like there would be tons of isobaric interferences from crude plant extracts. Does this have a collision cell of sorts or is it strictly a single quad? Any plans to add an autosampler?

$7500/mo, includes all consumables (special standard) and maintenance, as much as needed.

fbtys6h_d

2 Likes

I will post the cut sheet asap.

Correct, no chromatography, just a single quad ion trap.

Right now, our method is designed for distillate. We do still use a two stage syringe filtration on the diluted distillate sample.

1 Like

Schematics or any info on how it ionizes samples would be fantastic also

It uses negative chemical ionization, or soft ionization. The jaw that the sample strip is inserted into is heated.

I’d be happy to schedule a call with our CSO and other Ph.D’s as I’m may be missing a bit of info here.

Forgot to add

We are looking into a type of auto sampler tech that seems very promising. But that would be a ways out at this time.

The future of our technology is the D1, which will sample inline with the process and use AI to adjust your parameters for you, essentially automating distillation entirely.

1 Like

Per month - it’s a subscription model? Or can it be purchased outright?