Advice for new small batch closed loop hydrocarbon extractor

holy shit the windchime tek father graces us with his presence and more foolish advice

9 Likes

yes that is a bit cheaper.

I dont see anything in the description about being pressure tested??

Delivery date is showing sept 16- to Oct 7 so im assuming this is a chinese seller on amazon?? I ship same day on all items if paid by 12pm est and ive been told…im pretty good with the logistics

3x18 might be a bit hard getting 500g in… this is why mine comes with a 3x24

Dont see any sight glasses on the collection lid…those are nice and mine comes with 2x and borosilicate the thickest type… If you buy them BVV please make sure you check me out to replace the plastic sight glasses on those lids… They dont like cold temps… and we should be the cheapest…

No dip tube on the solvent tank… or second port on the solvent tank… i guess vacuuming downt the solvent tank might not be necessary…

Im sure this person know a lot about extracting and you can reach him 7 days a week for a video call free at just about anytime for help… LOL

its all good… None of those differences are worth a few dollars more. good advice!

9 Likes

i refer @Meezey too… Alek is a homie… We did business earlier this week too. Me and him been competing on ebay for years. I think we are staying at the same place for bizcon too…

We sell all of our systems with stainless solvent tanks too… But ive refered extractor solutions a ton in the past and @Meezey do business together and are homies!

I would suggest HFS too. I probably spend at least 400-500 a week at HFS in fitting and parts i need to complete orders… Open Source Steel looks to be welding extractors in house and always have nice compression systems… BVV has EVERYTHING… Great Customer Service and they are another company i purchase off of weekly… Xtractor Depot has great equipment too and just about turnkey anything… Who else is out there that i buy shit off of at least once a week???

Id feel good buying off any companies listed above!

7 Likes

Yea I like @meezy to… because he doesn’t use this site all day long to try and sell more extractors

its only me here and we do a lot of business… I only use the forum when im sitting here getting high talking shit! The rest of the time im spending with my family and running a pretty large business.

thats another benefit to me though… you know where you can find me hourly or every other hour… Your emails are taken care of almost instant… what company owner gives you that much access??

6 Likes

Yup. Hit up @Killa12345

2 Likes

Sorry, I can’t read your list, but if you will email copies to graywolf@graywolfslair.com, I’ll look it over for you.

3 Likes

i do what killa said to do maybe have him leave the material columns gauge and valves separate so he can practice putting the parts together so that they don’t leak and he will be able to pressure test afterwards too. m

i got my first system from @Killa12345 and pressure tested everything except the diamond miner. i was impatient told him i would put it together my self and pressure test it to make sure i did it right. he cut the price on the miner that it was practically free with my order. the diamond miner did a better job teaching me how to pressure test and find liked, rather than making diamonds.

@Killa12345 is a “premium Vendor” for a reason… professional as fuck!!! Hahahahaha

3 Likes

Sorry, I was headed out the door, so limited my input to asking for your details.

As originator of the basic Terpenator, Lil Terp designs under consideration, who got those designs third party certified to ASME Section VIII, I have some insights to share whether you have require a licensed facility or not.

The first decision is whether the system must be certifiable or not, and if so who pays for the certification. It is typically cheaper of the manufacturer supplies those certifications, than if you pay for them yourself.

I got the basic Mk III through Mk V ASME certs done relatively cheap bartering in the good ole boy network with a local ME PE, but it cost me $12K to get the Mk IVC and VC third party PE certified in five states to meet ASME, NFPA NEC, and IBC requirements for an installation.

If certifications are required, then ask for them up front, because it is way cheaper of supplied by the manufacturer.

If you have to determine from just the components themselves, ASME Section 8 was developed for a reason and divides piping and fitting 6” and below as pressure piping, and above as pressure vessels when they will operate above one atmosphere (14.7 psi) pressure.

Requirements for LPG pressure piping is 350 psi, and for pressure vessels, 3X the highest pressure the system may see, which ostensible includes system cooling failure.

70:30 is a common mix and a good example. Look at the attached chart to determine what pressure ranges you might be operating in:
See chart below.

The following is the pressure rating of the different sanitary clamps, which are the limiting factor in most systems: Rather than just look at the package offered, may I suggest that you look at the components used?

If you are building and testing our own, when I worked at an ASME fabricating shop, we hydrotested our products to certify them and fully flooded them and brought the pressure up using a Sprague hydrostatic pump, with no compress gases involved.

If we are operating a certified system that is at least 3X stronger than the pressure we are testing it to, and are just looking for leaks, we don’t have to hydrostatically test it, we can simply use air. If you doubt its capabilities, hydrostatically test it first and then with air so you can see the bubbles.

That doesn’t mean we stand in harms way when doing so. We tested our units in a plastic barrel full of water, but only went to 100 psi looking for leaks. We also stood beside it, with it tilted away from us, not over it.

As noted, compressed air rebounds like a big spring when released and at 100 psi is compressed air looking to occupy about 6.7 times more space. In pressure testing a sanitary assembly, the clamps are the weak link, so failures will launch the components vertically from a barrel.

As far as features, above the basic Terpenator/Lil Terp design, there are a couple of schools of thought on chilling the column, chilling the injected LPG, or chilling them both.

The column are typically chilled with a dry ice alcohol slurry in a column jacket, and the injected LPG is can be cooled in the storage tank and dropped further using a coil in a dry ice bath or LN2 counter flow heat exchanger between the storage tank and the column.

I prefer both, but only chilled the columns to -18C/0F before hand and chilled the injected LPG using either dry ice or LN2.

ASME also requires a PRV valve set at 130% of test pressure, also a good idea.
Some evolution since the original design. We discovered that it was handy to be able to watch what was going on in the recovery tank, so we added view ports. Check the pressure ratings of the view ports offered, as they should be at least 350 psi to meet ASME.

We also used modified flat lids on the original design, which attempts to become hemispherical under pressure, lifting the edges off the gaskets, so moved to lids that start out hemispherical and deform less, so are less prone to leaks.

I realize this post is a little like taking a sip from a firehose, but feel fee to ask questions, as well as submit what you have decided on for discussion!

butane-propane mix pressure at temperature|690x371

12 Likes

That’s exactly what it’s best for! I’m the same.

I have an Extractor Solutions erector set from eBay.

Every valve has failed, every gasket was dry and needed replacement before the first use. Other than that, the steel has been a very non-porous membrane. The 12” clamp on the collection vessel is keeping me awake at night. I need to address a new collection vessel as soon as the budget allows.

4 Likes

Hell yes this one is the best yo start small and safe im getting this shatter out of thus mashine and glg sop is Great!!! Love this site

1 Like

That a non intrinsic flashlight and scale hanging on the non-asme system?

I can see why you are so anti-regulation now, the whole pic would have to go.

2 Likes

Are you a cop or a fed or something? Don’t you have anything other than negative criticism to offer. I’ve looked through a bunch of your post and you are just a pain in the ass most of the time.

You aren’t in my state, you don’t know me, you don’t know my situation or my world. You don’t know what you’re talking about and I don’t give two shits about your opinion. You have no skin in this game. Go pound sand.

2 Likes

Which 12" clamp does it have on it?

Standard tri-clamp that @Meezey supplied

1 Like

If its only the 12" clamps keeping you up at night… You can easily find ASME 12" for under $300 on the internet.

Now the question is how much is your sleep worth??

https://www.emeraldgoldextractors.com/products/12-asme-sanitary-high-pressure-clamp-stainless-steel-316

2 Likes

Ordering it today. That’s awesome. Thank you!!!

1 Like