Advanced spd help

So I’ve been doing this for over a year and I’ve never seen distillate come out before reaching target head temp. My vac is sitting at 150m, mantle at 170, head at 146 and it looks thick and gold af. Why am I pulling thc at such a low temp? Everything is properly decarbed under full vac, etho extracted crude, very clean.

Is the distillate cloudy at all? also, could there possibly be an appreciable amount of CBD in it? Did your head temp ever eventually reach where you expected it would? How was the flow rate on this stuff coming out?

1 Like

Flow rate: dripping slowly at this point.
Not cloudy, low CBD as far as I know.
Does have terp swirls in it. I have to punch the head to like 180 to get good clean distillate. But thc starts coming at like 144. I’m fucking confused lol

Under 190 and your still in the terps/residual solvent and h20, and just starting to get the heads over

It is possible, I have seen THC coming out as low as 155, I think I remember @anon42519203 popping his THC at even lower head temps than you… It’s possible that the terps coming out right before it could be assisting in pulling the mains up with them, but that would probably be a strain specific interaction (you also may never see it again, these things just happen sometimes…)

My best advice for if you see this again is to turn your stir bar way down, try to lower your temps enough so that the head temp begins to drop off, then slowly increase the stir bar speed to try and push just the terps out, then ramp temps back up after the terps stop dripping.

2 Likes

Under 190 mantle or vapor?

Thank you bro

1 Like

Mantle temp

1 Like

Thanks man, I rock around 195-200. I think I might have been under 190 when this was happening. Thank you for the info man

122.3C on the head vapor temp

6 Likes

Are you using a full bore kit? I can pull cannabinoids at 175c every time, Vapor temps are usually similiar to what you’re showing 138c-145c. And vac will generally be between 100-300 microns.

1 Like

Not always the case my friend. I’ve seen cannabinoids at 175c mantle several times on a 12L full bore rig.

1 Like

That happened to me too once when i was at that low vac. I just let it go until vapor was 155, then dropped the swing arm. You can collect that initial oil and run it with the next batch. Look up boiling point of thc, there is a great graph out there that shows that it’s 186 at around 300 micron, i believe. So at 150 micron 170 sounds pretty close to right.

Edit: it was in here, hehe.

https://future4200.com/uploads/default/original/1X/278e3792eef3937a40d282554d20cc698236eba0.jpg

3 Likes

Im usually at about 60 microns 1st pass and 15 or so on 2nd so its pissing at 185 give or take stir bar rpm. The smallest opening on my system is a #29 joint the rest is all 1” to kf25.

1 Like

Going to add to next batch tomorrow morning. Found out a couple things about this particular system. Apparently I have to punch vapor temp all the way to 181 to be sure all residual Terps fraction off. There is a 100-200g swap section that usually gets thrown back into the next run. I was not aware of it, being I just started in a new lab with all different equipment than I’m used to running. All said and done I’ve got the system figured out and things should be coming out great from here on out, thank you guys for the pointers, felt stupid for asking but I was happy to get some solid answers from everyone.

2 Likes

How long does it take for you to strip the Terps from say, 2L of crude?

on this system, it’s usually a good 4 hour strip.

On my 12L That would take about 90-120 minutes. Usually stop getting any volatiles around 155c mantle temp. Cannabinoids start around 160-175c mantle.

2 Likes

That sounds perfect. I wish those were my parameters

Im using a WFE recently, I pretty much use the SDP to distill the terp strip from the WFE.
The SDP is a 5L Frankenstein. AI mantle, LS head and condenser, summit single cow (everything open bore) summit dewar trap, and a SOGEVAC sv65. It runs so strange to me. I used to run a 5l XD setup and a 12l LS and parameters were much different. Also used to run only BHO crude, now running only ETHO crude so that is also playing a roll in the differences I’m experiencing.

1 Like