Adsorbent Filtration - bucket tek

So… did a bucket tek cryo extraction… decided to filter it through two different media combinations before rotavaping off ethanol.

On right (bottom to top): Filter paper, carbon pad, powered carbon, cellite… Pretty much what I expected.

On left (bottom to top): Filter paper, carbon pad, cellite, T5, Silica 60, cellite.

Any insights on why the left one turned orange?

Cryo-eth%20filtered

1 Like

Same batch of crude?

AC has a tendency to turn your stuff redder.

youre sure they are at the same dilution?

1 Like

Rowen -

Same batch of ethanol extract - extracted with bucket tech. The red one had only a carbon pad rather than a layer of AC; the one with AC in the filter bed was the yellow one! I decided to play a little and was surprised by the color difference.

The red one had silica 60 in the bed, which I haven’t used before. I’ve used T5 before with no change. It has me perplexed.

1 Like

so glad to see you sharing your results with the community, I will perform a reference experiment if you care to share your methods and we can compare results.

1 Like

what are these carbon pads that you are using?

I have had things turn orange on me in unexpected ways, for example, I did the cold wash bucket tek, then filtered half of the whole solution through T-5, and only about half of that filtered solution through AC, had to stop for the day. before the AC filter, the color was a yellowish orangish color, after the AC it was just a pale yellow. The next day I came back and the remainder that needed to be AC filtered had darkened quite a bit, and when I filtered it through AC it turned bright orange instead of the same yellow color from the previous day. Everything was filtered the same way with same amounts, the only difference was waiting a day.

makes me think that there are maybe compounds that the AC grabs that degrade into compounds that the AC has a harder time picking up. just an observation.

Not sure if any of this will relate to what you guys did, just my 2 cents.

A big tip for you is if you are trying to compare two or more different types of filtering, make sure that all parts of the filter are the same except the one part you are interested in at the time. Gotta keep a good control to get better data. It’s a bit more difficult to try and trouble shoot your color just because there are multiple components in the different filters that are changed.

G_Boe - this was just a let’s see what we’ve got kind of moment. I loaded two filters and filtered in parallel, so this wasn’t just oxidation in the T5/Silica 60 column. My technicians will be playing with a multi-factor experimental design in coming weeks :slight_smile: . I did wash the filter column with pentane after flushing it with clean ethanol. We desorbed a bunch of stuff. Waiting on the lab to see what we got.

Carbon filter pads are 5 micron Microclear impregnated depth filters. Basically what they are using in filter presses. Used alone with bentonite I typically get a beautiful golden extract.

1 Like

What was your initial color of your tincture? Did it go orange after filtering through the t5? Or was it red/orange to begin with?

If you take a gander through the bucket Tek and other ethanol threads, the majority opinion seems to be that Clay’s have very little effect on polar solvents, the reds (anthocyanins) are pulled fairly well by AC. Infact AC and AA are probably the only things reocmmended for any color remediation on ethanol. (Though I have heard perhaps some ultrasonic may have effects with Clay’s and alcohol)

1 Like

tweedledew - The biomass was dried out old hemp… even under -50C we picked up a lot of brown. Filtered through 0.45 micron membrane filter discs it was golden/yellow. It looks like one of the T5 and Silica 60. In our factorial design we will separate them out. I’ve got a few bags of AA, but haven’t used them yet. For a large system, I’m looking at using pre-coat filtration… I’ve designed and operated a bunch of them in the water sector and it is readily scalable. I’m stilled waiting on labs to see what cannabinoid loss we have in each of the media!

Thank you!

3 Likes

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but what were the results from the lab regarding what was captured? @ProcessMan

1 Like

We lost about 20 - 25% cannabinoids in the pads. But then we treated them like a chromatography system were were able to preferentially elute a bunch of them back out, while leaving behind most waxes and junk. I’m about to acquire a precoat membrane filter press… but there isn’t much margin in extraction right now. We’ve moved on to remediation.