Adding sulfur to plants? Effect on extracts?

Good morning everyone,

I had someone come to me and say they are going to use a sulfur nutrient to help with the terpenes in their plants. I guess the sales rep that sold him the product said this sulfur can effect the extract concentrate down stream. Does anyone have any additional information or past experience with this? Thanks so much!

1 Like

go an organic routeā€¦ using Gypsum. its calcium sulfate. plants love both calcium and sulfur so win/win

as far as it being present in the extract i wouldnt think so. its not as if its a foliar application and for high ppm of sulfur to be present in the bud isnā€™t likely either if gone the natural top dress route

iā€™m sure people will correct me if i am wrong but high sulfur ppm in extracts is most likely due to fucked up people trying to salvage garbage by attempting to rid their rooms of mites / mildew by using heavy doses of a sulfur burner as a last ditch effort at IPM. negligence, corner cutting, lack of morals, and being an ass is what gets you sulfur in your extracts.

4 Likes

Sulfur comes through very strong with BHOā€¦100%
Saw now effect with water hash on same material.

3 Likes

When you say ā€œsulfur comes through very strongā€ do you mean the smell of sulfur in the extract final form? What about smoking it? Thank you!

Stuff that got hit with sulfur in flower then extracted tastes like a matchstick or fireworks or something

4 Likes

7 Likes

Thanks for your input. Does that same matchstick or firework taste be in flower form as well?

Theyre talking sbout burning elemental sulfur for mites.

Nutriet sulfur, at least i think, is what youā€™re boy is talking about. And having a diet without the S nutes hes claiming will rob the plant of the ability to synthesize fragrance and flavors that include sulfur atoms, not elemental sulfur.

Like grapefruit flavors have a lot of thio- and mercapto- naming meaning they have sulfur in them. Same idea in cannabis.

4 Likes

:point_up_2:This

AFAIK Volatile Sulphur Compounds provide most, if not all of the skunkiness in cannabis. VOCs like terpenes provide many nuances like citrus, pine, and floral notes but not all of the scent/taste we perceive is from terps.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsomega.1c04196

4 Likes

Cannabis extracts very little sulfate from solution. Around only 15-20 ppm are extracted, because sulfate transporters have limited capacity, especially at the acidic pH values that are used in hydroponic/soilless culture (5.5-6.5).

You can feed 200 ppm of sulfate in solution - as many do - a cannabis plant will not extract more of it, uptake is saturated very early on. Increasing sulfate therefore does not increase S in tissue if youā€™re already above very low levels (15-20 ppm, as mentioned above). You can attest to this by looking at leaf and flower tissue. Even if you feed extremely aggressively, leaf tissue composition will remain in the 0.2-0.4% range (matching the level of uptake mentioned before).

Increasing sulfur by other means is possible - other organic and inorganic sulfur sources - but these are much more expensive and when they decompose outside the plant they can create very foul smells. I havenā€™t found any sort of exotic sulfur supplementation to be worth the trouble.

9 Likes

Spot on, with a side of spicy salsa and burnt tortilla. :face_vomiting:

Langbenite or gypsum in the soil is a great way to increase thiol production, while sulfer burning is a great way of forcing yourself into producing distillate

2 Likes

I am curious about this statement, since I have never been able to measure actual increases in S in flowers or leaves by increases in sulfate concentration in solutions. No matter how much gypsum or langbeinite we add to media, or how far we take sulfate up in the root zone (even >300 ppm). I never see it increase proportionately either in leaves or flowers. This is in soilless setups, which are kept at a pH in the 5.5-6.5 zone.

Do you have any data showing this relationship between sulfate sources and sulfur containing compounds in plant tissues in soil? If you do and are able to share it I would certainly appreciate seeing it!

The fact that S uptake could be significantly higher in soil, which generally has a higher pH, might be a reason for difference in soil Vs soilless grown flower. Evidence in this direction would be great.

Its only a little soluble in water, and generally ā€˜minedā€™ out of the substrata by fungi that exchange it for sugar at the root interface. You mentioned soilless, media, you throwing your soil out after each harvest? (Soil is your greatest resource, stop trashing mother earth) It can take 6+ weeks for fungal hypha to get established, so if your soil is not reused, your missing out on the benefits.
Theres not much published research on sulfer mobility in cannabis, but there is in other crops, which show it helps set fruit, increase the fruit size, and exhibit lower prevalence of damage from molds and insects. I can tell ya from personal experiences that addition will not be noticed immediately, but in the years following application it becomes more noticeable. My recommendation is to use it as an ammendment for the sections of your garden growing the chems/skunks/ fuels, and into the areas showing a decrease in bud size, but to not use it in single use soilless mixes, as the majority of your cycle will have bacterial dominant soil

2 Likes

Sulphur Fertilization in Crop Production | Soils, Fertility and Nutrients | Government of Saskatchewan.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/research/treesearch/3808

https://nutrientstewardship.org/implementation/sulfur-the-4th-major-nutrient/

1 Like

Sulfur as a soil additive should have no negative effect on extracts.

Using a sulfur burner or spraying micronized sulfur during flower will make your extracts taste like matches.

2 Likes

Best comment so far! :joy::metal:t3:

Donā€™t forget to add copper scrubbers in the spd head :smirk:

Whats the name of the product? Are you watering it in ? Any foliar or vaporization of sulfur will make for a gross extraction thats difficult to remove even with crc or brine washing .

1 Like