Adding agitation to a vacuum assisted still

Hope everyone’s staying well and making money. Attempting to increase ethanol recovery capability on a 30l oak and crane vacuum assisted ethanol by adding agitation. At this CBD facility there is also a pneumatic sanitary mixer. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to rig the mixer inside the still while still maintaining vacuum. There are 2” tri clamp ports to work with. Thanks stay well.

1 Like

Hi,
I am working on a project like this currently for a client, you will want to go magnetically coupled, then you will have to construct a bearing section inside the top section to hold the propeller shaft.Bearing selection is also important, you will want a bearing that won’t contaminate your product with lubrication oils or grease. Bearing spacing is a function of shaft material, diameter and RPM. The formula is :

L=(3.21D/N)^(0.5)(E/W)^(0.25)

L is the maximum length between bearings
D is the shaft diamter
N is the shaft RPM
E is tensile modulus of elasticity in PSI
W is the density in pounds per cubic inch

If your shaft isn’t well supported it can vibrate crazy, or bend.
Although the liquid around will dampen small amounts of vibration .

Were you going with air motor build or explosion proof electric?

5 Likes

Bearing lubrication with mag drives is also an important factor; you may be better off modifying the impeller shaft on a mag drive pump than designing your own bearing because they often have features designed to create flow through/around the bearing of the process material. Frequently they use solid carbon or ceramic bushing elements because they are more easily lubricated by the process fluid than a roller/ball bearing.

I thought I had some pictures somewhere of a caster pump I just rebuilt that showed the shaft features designed to pump process fluid through the bearing but I can’t find them.

Why not go with a premade tri clamp sanitary mixer?

1 Like

That is another option as well, although they don’t offer a mag driven option.

sorry about the lag got busy for a few days. I appreciate the info solxet. I was going to go with an air powered mixer that they have lying around. Don’t really have the time to create one myself I was wondering if somone makes/ or you can fabricate a 2”tri clamp adapter that allows me to use the air powered mixer that has a 3/4” shaft.

Hi,
If you need a custom part I got you covered. You just need a way to adapt a existing mixer to a 2" t/c lid?

In this instance the bearing section is above the product level in the lid, the bearings shouldn’t see direct immersion in the liquid.

2 Likes