Active vs. Passive Butane Recovery

As with anything, when you increase pressure you increase the boiling point of whatever is pressurized, just as, when you decrease the pressure of a substance you reduce its boiling point.

I personally haven’t really seen a loss of terps at temp, but I have seen product darken at temp over time and the potential for isomerizations comes into play when using excessive heat. Though I have heard of people having problems with terpenes ending up in their solvent tank - a direct relationship to Henry’s law and boiling under vacuum, which would in theory result in a “loss” due to their location of the solvent tank.

Terps can react under acidic and basic conditions with heat and isomerize into other terpenes or other products such as a-pinene can become b-pinene, limonene to terpinene and terpinolene, geraniol to linalool, myrcene can polymerize, caryphyllene can oxidation are examples of acidi conditions.

For basic conditions examples include conversion of limonene to carvone, gamma-terpiene can be converted to thymol or carvacrol, geranyl acetate can be saponified, b-pinene can be converted into myrtenol…

Our latest systems don’t need much for excess heat to run per-se and the basin and GD1 are essentially cold to the touch during operation no matter how hard you are running them (Patent Pending).

It is actually pretty insane to see function. To this day it blows even my own mind. On my last install, the - used to be - “cook a steak hot” return rail had condensation on it because it was so cold.

5 Likes